toyota truck and carolla have seprate yellow blinkers

Anything electric, AC or DC

toyota truck and carolla have seprate yellow blinkers

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu May 17, 2007 8:52 pm

Alright some where I missed it through the years but anyway.

I went in to get my truck wired at the local Morro Bay RV dealer and found that they had no hook up for my 2001 toy pickup it is not a Tacoma it was before that at least looks wise. I got it used so maybe it is but I think not.

Any way as I was looking at the trailer I realized that I have the truditional trailer harness. marker lights, left & stop, right & stop. and ground.

should I run a seprate one and install yellow blinkers, I could run a second one for the backup light too.

a second 2 line plug for them or should I put in a 6 way plug so I have a place for electric brakes for the future?

site shows many different plugs and at bottom wire colors.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.aspx

:? :shock: :oops: :thinking: teach me please
show links to other forum answers..... I can't read everything.

I am stuck and am biting at the bit to move away from the basics. and make this boxkite fly....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ron D. :worship:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Thu May 17, 2007 9:40 pm

You can use a powered converter for the lights. Putting amber turn lights on the trailer is also a good solution but then any vehical the pulls it will also have to be wired the same way.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sierrajack » Fri May 18, 2007 8:21 am

You will need a "kit". Check with Draw-Tite or Hoppy and/or your local Toyota dealer. Check out www.kwikhitch.com/wiring/toyota_wiring.htm.
Japanese wiring is not the same as the U.S. and you'll need a converter 5 wire to 4 wire. Be sure to install a relay in the system to prevent any problems also.
Go back to www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.aspx and study it a bit - you should find your answer. Some local U-Haul stores can also assist you.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby Sierrajack » Fri May 18, 2007 9:26 am

Ron,
Toyota only had two truck models in 2001. The Tacoma and the Tundra.
The Tundra is the full sized model and Tacoma is the smaller one - it would be helpful if I knew which one you had.

Kits: Tundra - Hoppy #63375 or Draw-Tite DRA18378
Tacoma - Hoppy #63315 or Draw-Tite DRA18379

These kits are simple plug in type and don't require and cutting or splicing. They are somewhat pricey however, they will prevent any errors and problems.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby BrwBier » Fri May 18, 2007 8:48 pm

Sierrajack wrote:Ron,
Toyota only had two truck models in 2001. The Tacoma and the Tundra.
The Tundra is the full sized model and Tacoma is the smaller one - it would be helpful if I knew which one you had.

Kits: Tundra - Hoppy #63375 or Draw-Tite DRA18378
Tacoma - Hoppy #63315 or Draw-Tite DRA18379

These kits are simple plug in type and don't require and cutting or splicing. They are somewhat pricey however, they will prevent any errors and problems.

I don't believe either of those kits are a powered kit, meaning you need to run a wire to the battery. If in fact they aren't powered you are just wasting your time and money. After my recent problems I would never recommend a non powered trailer connector for a vehicle with separate turn and stop lights. And by the way, those are called 3 wire systems not 5 wire. Vehicles with combined turn and stop are called 2 wire systems.
Brwbier
Last edited by BrwBier on Fri May 18, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sierrajack » Fri May 18, 2007 9:03 pm

What ever, I guess my 12 years at a Toyota dealership was a waste of time!!
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby BrwBier » Fri May 18, 2007 10:00 pm

I guess your right.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sierrajack » Sat May 19, 2007 7:25 am

Funny thing as I remember - as the Assistant Parts Manager for a Toyota dealership, I must have sold well over 100 or so Toyota Trailer wiring harnesses because Toyota offers them as an accessory item. They were clearly 5 wire to 4 wire harnesses with a converter. The Toyota harness was rather pricey but prevented problems like burning up a chassis wire harness. I can remember several people wanting to know how much it would cost to "fix" or replace the harness after some independant repair shop or themselves smoked the wiring. Let's see, $1800.00 isn't too bad is it?
About 2 years after Toyota had harnesses on the market, 3 aftermarket companies started making a cheaper item. We installed many hitches and harnesses (5 wire to 4 wire) and NEVER had a problem. Then there's folks that complained that they had their trailer brake control installed by an aftermarket repair shop and the darn truck wouldn't start and it was towed to our shop. 100% of the time, some "technician" cut and spliced into the vehicle electronic ignition control wiring harness to get "power". Toyota Electronic Ignition Control modules had to be shipped from Japan and took a couple of weeks and the price was astronomical.
I've included a picture of an aftermarket trailer towing wire harness so you may count the wires and see just what that item looks like.

OBTW - this is a TOYOTA Tundra trailer towing wire harness.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby BrwBier » Sat May 19, 2007 8:22 am

Let me explain why I said what I did. First I have been a dealership tech for over 20 years. The plug in connectors will work in many cases, BUT not all. I wired my trailer with a dedicated ground, soldered and heat shrunk every splice, checked every wire a couple of times just so I would not have a problem. With a jumper box or connected to a vehicle w/o a converter it worked just great. When I hooked the trailer to my 98 Venture van the lights worked like sh*t. I checked and rechecked everything on the van and the trailer. I even replaced the converter with a Draw Tite T connector, just plug in and go. Still the same problem. My trailer has LED lights, it turned out that their was not enough feed back to make the converter work properly. Many cars have a low amount of power available at the tail lights and will be a problem. I installed a Draw Tite modual lite power converter and all is right now. That is why I say only install a power converter. It is not rocket science, very easy to install, just check and watch what you are doing. I don't care how many wires you see, a vehicle with amber turn lights is called a 3 wire system and a vehicle with combined turn and stop is called a 2 wire system. Any competent shop should be able to do the work, your neighbors kid in auto shop is not the way to go. Heck, anyone who wants to drive to Wisconsin, I will install you light harness for free. I don't mean to p*ss anyone off but their is a world of difference between selling a part and fixing a problem. The terminology between a parts catalog and a shop manual don't always match.
So I stand by what I said, power converters only for modern cars and dedicated ground wires on all trailers.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby toypusher » Sat May 19, 2007 6:45 pm

I used a kit on my 02 Tacoma. Just pulled the tailights and plugged the thing in. It works great and have never had any problems with it. I just can't imagine having to go to the hassle of doing anything else on a Toyota!!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Sierrajack » Sat May 19, 2007 7:43 pm

There ya go Kerry - right on.
Let's add this up - 45 years as a mechanic within that time I built and worked on aircraft for 7 1/2 years, 12 years as a tank turret mechanic, 30 years as a part time stock car engineer, American Society of Engineers, Jet engine mechanic, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda mechanic for so many years I can't count. I guess someone agrees with what I said.....
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat May 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Woah guys, this is getting a bit too heated and way too personal. How about we all agree to disagree and lighten up a bit.
:shake hands:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue May 22, 2007 12:45 am

Thank you everyone for your answers. this gives me food for thought.

I am glad to know that you are experienced people and that we are just tipical folks with different views.

But I have leaned from all of you

and thankyou for that.

Ron Dickey :D 8) :lol:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: toyota truck and carolla have seprate yellow blinkers

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue May 22, 2007 12:58 am

Ron Dickey wrote:Alright some where I missed it through the years but anyway.
hook up for my 2001 toy pickup it is not a Tacoma it was before that at least looks wise.

OOPs I goofed....

I have a 1990 Toyota pickup truck
I :oops: I :oops: well I have a 2001 carolla and my dislexic came back.

There is no plug for the wires but there are plug at each of the light junkshunes. And would figure that was before plug in wires came about.

It is not that old it does have the first of the ABS brake systems. and a factory sun roof. :thumbsup:

But I will say again thank you each for your answer. It did help

I am temped to check a junk yard to see if I can find a factory wiring setup.

Thanks again
Ron D.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 22, 2007 6:34 am

Pull into any U-Haul company store during the week and you will be wired and out in 20 minutes for less than $30.00 +/-

Tell them you are getting prewired for a rental " next week "
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets