#10 stranded wire and receptacles...

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Jim, which came first...the chicken or the egg...your last question is technical and would require reading the NEC...something I have never done nor intend to do...my answers/explanations are from practical experiences............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:29 pm

I can answer that one:

Yes the NEC requires physical protection of wire. Its conduit or MC cable for most commercial applications. Its the cover on NM (Romex) for residential. It doesn't make a difference if its stranded or solid, it needs protection.

And once again, you see as much solid as you do stranded in #12 and #10 in commercial applications. Code doesn't require one or the other, its the ampacity of the wire that matters. Its all stranded once you get up to a #8 because its too hard to work with solid conductors that big.

I don't have my code book here but I can get it out sometime if you have more specific questions...

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:48 pm

, MJ,

Damn, I thought YOU"D be the one to read the NEC! 8) You work from experience and I do hearsay.... ;) Well, experience trumps hearsay! :lol:

Bruce, thanks for saving us ! :worship:

My wiring inspector guy said 'conduit' not 'protection' and I assumed (wrongly???) that he meant pvc, metal conduit etc for stranded wire. I assumed the wire would have some sort of vinyl protection.

But I suspect I just stepped into the 'devil's details' of what 'protection'
means in the NEC.

Bruce, good to know that you do have access to NEC. Thanks for sharing that...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Joanne » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:15 pm

Jim,

If you have the #10 wire in hand and want to use it, maybe you should consider buying crimp-on ring connecters and use them to attach to whatever plug or switch you need.

You probably should check with those more knowledgeable than I to ensure that this is a safe option.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:11 pm

You know, I never see those on 120V wires. I bet Chuck would know why.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:34 pm

bdosborn wrote:You know, I never see those on 120V wires. I bet Chuck would know why.
Bruce

I dunno, electricians around here use them all the time. Particularly for connecting stranded wire to light switches and such. :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:51 am

Joanne, BD, Rich,

Joanne, you're suggestion is a good one and I do have the ring connectors but for some reason brain didn't consider that option with #10 in receptacle-- :duh I used those on my fuse box. I looked at things after reading your note and one problem I see is that the wire is so big that the box is gonna be awfully tight...so I'll probably use #12 solid and strap the wire down well so that it doesn't move... Now, if I do have a problem with it breaking etc, then I'll backtrack to your suggestion and get bigger boxes.

BD, Rich--your notes make me wonder if there are regional variations in the way craftsmen do their work??? Sure seems that way when you read stuff about plumbing/electrical/construction stuff. I mean that while electricians will follow NEC and local codes, HOW they do that may differ from place to place?

Thanks, folks, I appreciate the advice...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby toypusher » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:50 am

Guess I don't understand why you don't just use 12GA stranded for your 120V side (possibly with spade connectors on the ends to connect to recepticles, etc)? 12Ga should serve the same whether solid or stranded and stranded is much easier in a teardrop.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi Kerry,

Your question makes perfect sense. I happen to have #10 stranded and # 12 solid on hand...part of a collection of left over wire from mine and other people's projects. Since the AC wire runs are short--less than 2 feet to one repceptacle in the gallery and only about 4 feet to the receptacle in the cabin, I think the 12 solid should be fine, provided I strap it down well so that it doesn't move. If id proves to be a problem I'll do what you suggest....get some 12 stranded and as Joanne said, crimp some ring connectors on the wire....

Hope all is well with you and yours,

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Alphacarina » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:41 pm

Joanne wrote:If you have the #10 wire in hand and want to use it, maybe you should consider buying crimp-on ring connecters and use them to attach to whatever plug or switch you need.
Yes, Joanne - That's the industry standard way of making connections with stranded wire to recepticales which aren't designed for stranded wire

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:05 pm

bdosborn wrote:You know, I never see those on 120V wires. I bet Chuck would know why.
Bruce

On duplex outlets the screws can’t be removed with out damaging the outlet.
You have to remove the screws to use a ring terminal. You can use crimp-on terminals for 120 v ac if the right terminal / strip rated for the wire is used and the voltage and current rated is used. #10 wire for a 15-amp outlet is not recommended for 120v ac outlets. You should use #14 wire. The outlet is made for #14 wire. A 20-amp outlet is made for #12 wire. Most electricians do not use terminal lugs. It takes to long to put on and sticks out from the outlet making it harder to squeeze the outlet in the box. Sense most electricians bid on jobs per job not per hour rate. Time is money!

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:42 pm

Chuck Craven wrote:On duplex outlets the screws can’t be removed with out damaging the outlet
While it's true that the screws are designed not to back all the way out (strictly as a convenience to the user) it doesn't 'damage' the outlet (or the screw for that matter) in any way to remove and reinstall them using ring terminals

I installed electronic navigation systems for the Air Force for about 30 years, most all utilizing stranded wiring and we used ring terminals on every stranded connection and never damaged any outlet by removing and reusing the screws . . . . and we did this on literally thousands of outlets of all types. Most all of this equipment was certified to FAA standards and installed accordingly

Just to 'triple check' I just removed all 5 terminal screws from an outlet that I bought at Lowes last week and I had no trouble putting them back in and nothing was 'damaged' in any way

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:51 pm

Will I guess the cheaper outlets you can get away with removing the screws. I normally use Hubble outlets, they rivet the clamp plate on the end of the screws. When you take out the screws the clamp plate breaks off. But each manufacture does it different!
:roll:
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby cleonard » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:54 pm

Chuck Craven wrote:On duplex outlets the screws can’t be removed with out damaging the outlet.
Chuck

It varies. On most the screws can be removed. On others they can not. Sometimes the end of the screw is swagged so it can't be easily removed. These usually do come out and can be reinserted and sometimes not. On others they use a floating plate that the screw goes into. On this kind you can put a straight wire into a hole behind the screw and tightening the screw pulls the plate against the wire making the connection. If you unscrew the wire on this type the plate falls when the screw is removed. Then there is nothing to put the screw back into.

The simple thing to do is to just buy a single outlet an see if you can remove and reinsert the screws. When you know it is a good type buy more.

One note about wire sizes. It is always OK to use larger wire than called for by the amperage of the circuit. It is like a chain, only as strong as the weakest link. The breaker needs to be sized for that weakest link.
cleonard
Teardrop Builder

Postby Alphacarina » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:25 pm

Chuck Craven wrote:Will I guess the cheaper outlets you can get away with removing the screws. I normally use Hubble outlets, they rivet the clamp plate on the end of the screws. When you take out the screws the clamp plate breaks off
I agree with you there . . . . but you can legally use clamp type outlets with stranded wire, can't you? No need for a ring terminal if all your outlets are of ther clamp type . . . . you just can't (legally) use stranded wire under a screw head, so on those types of outlets, you would need a ring terminal

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets