12 volt tear supply from old computer?

Anything electric, AC or DC

12 volt tear supply from old computer?

Postby kirkman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:15 am

I remember seeing some one made a 12 volt supply for there tear from there old computer. Any one remember this and how to do it ? I have one and would like to use it instead of throwing it out.

Thanks! :D
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nikwax » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:48 am

You have several voltages coming out of the power supply. Use your voltmeter to identify which is which (the black wire will be the ground, yellow should be +12 volts). You may be able to get around 12 amps from it depending on the particular unit, it should say on the case.
nikwax
Silver Donating Member

Postby cguardsman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:52 am

that is a pretty good idea but you would want to make sure it was a large power supply and not a small one as it would be overtaxed. let me go ask my tech and find out the numbers off the larger supplies.
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby cguardsman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:56 am

the difference in the ones we use is small 25va and large 40va.
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby cleonard » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:47 am

It can work as a power supply, but there are a few issues that you need to know about. Almost every PC power supply must have a load to work correctly. It may need that load on the +5 or +12 outputs. It may need a load on both depending on the model. The only way to know is to experiment. Just use a voltmeter and when you put enough load it will start working correctly.

The older 80's PC and AT models are easier to use. They just had a real power switch. The current ones have a wire that needs to be grounded to turn on the power supply.

The +12 output will be useless as a battery charger. The problem is that it puts out really close to 12 volts and a battery needs at least 13.8 volts to charge. It is also not current limited like a battery charger needs to be.

Other than that they work pretty well. Be careful about overloading them however. They can fry when overloaded. It can happen with smoke and caps blowing up. Usually the metal case will contain the fire. A correct size fuse is a good idea. They also need cooling air. Don't put them in an enclosed space with no air to the outside. Be sure to check the fan in the power supply. The cheap ones use sleeve bearings and they do not last long. It's easy to replace the fans. A great source of computer type fans is www.AllElectronics.com They have a big selection from quiet wimpy ones to noisy air blasting ones.
Last edited by cleonard on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cleonard
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mary K » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:52 am

Mary K wrote:I found this....

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... t=computer

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I might have to look into this.

Mk

edit ...Dang, it looks complicated :?

I posted this in your other thread about 12v power supplies. :?

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:18 pm

If you're not going to have a battery at all, then your converter needs to be able to handle the total amperage of everything you could ever be running at once - A computer power supply may or may not be big enough, depending on the total of all your lights, fans, TV, fridge, etc

If you do have a battery, then you need a regulated battery charger, but it can be much smaller because the battery will power whatever you're running and the charger only needs to replace that current, which it can do when your accessories are shut off

I'm goning to run a small 5 amp regulated battery charger (light and cheap) to keep an Optima yellow top charged up, even though I'll have lots of DC loads (lights, refrigeration, TV, fan, etc) the battery can make up the difference. I'll also have a 10 amp DC output from the Honda Genset whenever it's running (likely all night, powering the A/C)

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Donutboy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:26 pm

I was pondering this subject and realized I already have a 12V power supply--Archer, from RadioShack. It powered my first "stereo"; an automotive 8-track tape player that was mounted in the headboard of my bed. Whoops--I just dated myself!
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Computer Power Supply

Postby Dee Bee » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:36 pm

I have been using the converted power supply for three seasons. It has handled all my TD DC uses, which are admitedly limited

Info at

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Teardrop%2012%20V%20Power%20Supply.htm

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:40 pm

Donutboy wrote: . . . . an automotive 8-track tape player that was mounted in the headboard of my bed. Whoops--I just dated myself!

Now you're making me feel old - Would you believe I once cut up the dash of a '58 Corvette to install an 8 track player?

Both old and stupid . . . . not for cutting the dash - That could always be fixed, but for selling that car

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby kirkman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:57 pm

Thanks guys now to see if this entomologist ( bug man ) can become a electrician! :shock: :? :roll: I could not have even gotten this far with out all your help and suggestions! :D :thumbsup:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:09 pm

Donutboy wrote: It powered my first "stereo"; an automotive 8-track tape player that was mounted in the headboard of my bed. Whoops--I just dated myself!

I had the same setup...with Steppenwolf and Grand Funk RR 8 tracks!! It ended up in my Maverick...doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: 12 volt tear supply from old computer?

Postby Micro469 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:34 pm

kirkman wrote:I remember seeing some one made a 12 volt supply for there tear from there old computer. Any one remember this and how to do it ? I have one and would like to use it instead of throwing it out.

Thanks! :D

Try this website... It's a real nice conversion...
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:47 pm

Keep in mind that if you DO have a battery in your tear, a computer power supply putting out exactly 12 volts won't charge your battery . . . . .

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:21 pm

doug hodder wrote:I had the same setup...with Steppenwolf and Grand Funk RR 8 tracks!! It ended up in my Maverick...doug

Doug,

I had a Neil Young 8 track in my Maverick.

:lol: :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets