Exterior Light Electrical Help Appreciated

Anything electric, AC or DC

Exterior Light Electrical Help Appreciated

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:29 am

Looks like I aint Nooooo Good at this

Ok I have the 4 lights behind the tear ... Hole cut into the lower Hatch.. Great indeed.. but now How do I start wiring this stuff together...?

I have 7 prong from car.

I translated it from Finnish to English

1. Vasen 1. Left Yellow Blinker
Suuntavalo Keltainen
2. Takasumu- 2. Fog Light - Blue
valo Sininen
3. Maadoitus Valkoinen 3. Ground - White
4. Oikea suuntavalo Vihreä 4. Right Blinker - Green
5. Oikea 5. Right Back Light - Brown
takavalo Ruskea
6. Jarruvalo Punainen 6. Brake Light - Red
7. Vasen 7. Back Light - Black
takavalo Musta

I understand the numbers and so but what I would like to know is how to bring all this jungle of wire together in the hatch and to the front of the tear.

The fog light is under the left frame in back ..

Then to join these lights together from the sides.. :? :? :?

There are 4 of the orange colored for front and back sides.

And these are the forward front 2 on front wall..and lil register plate light.

So now I want to have it so they are nicely set and properly wired..Im stuck.. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Here are the side lights on the tear

And here are the Forward.. Hope I explained this so you pro,s can understand..

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Dale M. » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:16 am

Simply do it one wire/lamp at time...... This reduces confusion factor... Identify all lamps that need to be connect to "tail/marker" lamp circuit, make it happen... Identify left turn lamp circuit, make it happen, identify right turn lamp circuit, make it happen, identify stop lamp circuit, make it happen......

By doing one wire/circuit at a time, it simplifies the wiring octopus of wires staring back at you....

Try making simple block schematic of what you want to do with wiring and do a "connect the dots" sketch....

Since lamps are mounted in wood, do not forget to wire grounds to each lamp...

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:40 pm

I also have my lights in the hatch lid and it creates a little different plan than just wiring lights one at a time. Let my tell you what I did. I ran all wires to a junction box in the galley wall including a dedicated ground. They were color coded correctly. (If your wire is all the same color label each end with a self adhesive label as to which it is one at a time. )
I knew I needed 3 brown wires with 3 grounds for right tail left tail and plate light so I connected 3 browns to the brown I brought from the hitch. I routed them up a hatch rib to the center of the hatch where I left the plate light wire and ground and routed a pair to each side. I also had 4 clearance lights each side which needed a brown and a ground which I ran in paralell to all 4 lights. I then wire nutted these 2 clumps of 4 wires each and connected them to the lights. My lights were grounded thru the mounting studs so the ground wire was connected to the mounting stud with a crimp on ring connector and nutted down snug. Next your yellow to the left turn and ground and then green to right turn and ground. I am guessing your brake lights are seperate from your turns unlike mine so run your red #6 wire with 2 wires and 2 grounds to right and left brake elements. The hookup lights on front can be ran from the #2 blue auxliery
in fact you could even switch this from the car or the TD. Last #7 run a wire with ground to your backup lights. The car plug should be wired so that it is hot only when the car backup lights are on. I spent 13 hours last sunday doing just this but I did install all of my ac and dc interior lights and outlets as well.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:50 pm

OOPS !

Your door lights should also be attached to your brown and ground clearance light run if you do not have a battery on board. If you have a battery attach light directly to it only positive and negative . Run you wire the long way around near where you may want the switch and switch the hot (brown) wire to shut off and on the light.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:18 pm

Yes I do have a battery (It will be located in the Towbox)..

Ok now why do I feel a lil noivous.. :oops: :oops: :oops: and embarrassed at the sametime..since I dont know how but willing to learn.
And my American Instructors are so far away.. But I guess I,ll have to jump right in and just do it.. 8) 8) :) :o

Ok.. Dale and BobHenry I shall think positive.. :lol: :lol: But I guess I,ll have to think a lil Negative too correct... :thinking: :D

Ok Im going to print this out and read it over a few times... as I go..

Hope I dont barbecue myself along the way... :worship:

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:31 am

Heikki, if you are not running brakes you only need a 4 wire plug. YOu can get an adapter for the 7 wire, that will make it simpler. I used a 4 wire flat to hook to my lights in the hatch and am going to use it as a disconect. It plugs into the wires going to the car. Everything else is attached along the way.

Fear not you will not be Finnish Bar B Q.. Just get enough zing to wake you up... :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Alphacarina » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:16 am

Miriam C. wrote:Heikki, if you are not running brakes you only need a 4 wire plug. YOu can get an adapter for the 7 wire, that will make it simpler. I used a 4 wire flat to hook to my lights in the hatch and am going to use it as a disconect
Unlike the ole antiquated USA, many countries require separate brake and turn signal lights and it appears Heikki has his tear set up that way, so a 4 wire plug won't work for him . . . . they may not even sell 4 wire plugs in Finland anyway

I was going to respond to his post earlier, but it's hard to tell from the translation what pin(s) would correspond to what we call 'tail' or 'clearance' lights over here, so rather than confuse the issue any more, I deleted my post after investing about 15 minutes trying to figure out the language differences

I am pretty sure though that he needs at least 5 pins (tail, brake, left, right and ground for his application and maybe even one more, if his clearance and tail lights are on different pins . . . . . and from the translation, it appears they might be

My advice would be for him to get some advice from someone in Finland - We could totally mess him up trying to tell him how we 'do it over here'

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:16 am

Alphacarina wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:Heikki, if you are not running brakes you only need a 4 wire plug. YOu can get an adapter for the 7 wire, that will make it simpler. I used a 4 wire flat to hook to my lights in the hatch and am going to use it as a disconect
Unlike the ole antiquated USA, many countries require separate brake and turn signal lights and it appears Heikki has his tear set up that way, so a 4 wire plug won't work for him . . . . they may not even sell 4 wire plugs in Finland anyway

I am pretty sure though that he needs at least 5 pins (tail, brake, left, right and ground for his application and maybe even one more, if his clearance and tail lights are on different pins . . . . . and from the translation, it appears they might be

My advice would be for him to get some advice from someone in Finland - We could totally mess him up trying to tell him how we 'do it over here'

Don

Ironically you are very correct...... The problem is although we have adopted European/Asian designs for car/truck lighting (separate brake-turn lamps) we are still stuck in the old ways of combined lamps on trailers.... Maybe we need federal (DOT) mandates to change the thinking process.... Most serious vehicle considered for towing have 6 or 7 pin connectors...

Think its time to push change....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Heikki,
I found this on a UK site. a very good diagram.

}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Dear friends

I want you to know I value each and everyones replies and help..I wont say who,s right or wrong and its due to my lack of knowledge with this.

As far as what I heard today ..There is no adapter from 7 to 4 prong here.
Each as far as what I learned from one place that the lights and brakes have to be seperate...

Also that drawing that our friend Sonetpro found does correspond with the Finnish Version of the lighting and wiring..

But Im going to Double check this... yet..I,ll be more than happy to let you all know how it must go and how it went..

For most of you this is a piece of cake... but for this Ol Classic its not.All I can do is start doing and have it inspected and if its not correct..
They will certainly let me know ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Please come back and pay 8 Euro more.. :D :D :D

But ok I,ll get them lit up and show you all some pics..

Again thanks kindly to all of you..Man I am a Rookie... :? :?

Steve - Do I understand this correctly? that there in the mid part it is one of them plastic looking sugar cube blocks as they are called here somtimes? and all wires are leading to that ? and then going to all back lights?

I think I see the chart clearly except what we call ground in England its called Earth?

Thank You

Heikki :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Alphacarina » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:13 pm

Yes, ground for most of the world is 'earth' in the British Isles - For many years, they connected the positive side of the battery to it too ;)

The black terminal strip you see is probably optional. You can connect the necesary wires together and solder and tape them if you don't want to use the connector block, but the connector block keeps thing neat

It looks like Steve's diagram is exactly what you need, to be correct for most all of Europe - Pretty obvious why there are 7 pins and none of them are for brakes - Most European countries don't allow electric brakes anyway . . . . think they all must be independant surge brakes which are automatically applied as the tow vehicle slows

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:45 pm

You folks are Great...I got the wiring to the point now that I can start installing but I have one lil question..

Majority of this wiring goes under the tear..

What Route is the best of taking the wiring from the hatch lights..
I have started the back lights and from the lower inside of the hatch I have the wiring going up to the hinge..on the side.

But from there Im undecided which route to take to get to the wiring under the tear frame again... :thinking:

Classic Finn ;)

Oh I went with the plastic so called "Sugar Cube" connector and it looks clean and nicely done.. 8) 8) :D For a Rookie..And No BBQ Finn YET.. :lol: :lol:
:thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:52 am

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=24824

I ran the tail light wiring from the floor up the galley wall in pvc let it free flow at the hinge area and tucked it back into this conduit to the center of the hatch where the plate light will be then ran it loose left and right.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:08 am

Ok.. on the way.. Found that electrical connector that we call the Sugar Cube... :lol: :lol:

And that really works good...

plus the wiring that has the flexible tubing already there..except what we picked up is black in color..good for outdoor or indoor..boats, campers.. and so on.. :)

This electrical now is starting to local fairly professionally done ..even by a Rookie... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby SSchumacherCO » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:24 am

Not to confuse things further but I have a 7 pin to 4 pin converter that came with my Land Rover. Funny thing about it is that the 7 pin connector is not the "normal" US 7 pin connector. 4 of the pins are male and 3 are female. This raises the question, is the pin out the same for US and European versions?

For what it is worth, the LR part number is YMZ500480. I no longer have the truck so if the converter works for you I would be happy to send it to you.

Steve
SSchumacherCO
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets