12 V power wheels Battery???

Anything electric, AC or DC

12 V power wheels Battery???

Postby tearbum67 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:13 pm

I have a question along the same lines if any one could give me a clue I would appretiate it. My son had an old Powerwheels jeep that I still have the battery and charger for. Its been setting around for years but I charged it over night and Im getting 14.6 volts out of it. Now, all I want it for is to run my dome lights while working on the cabin cabinets, ( I just cant bring myself to run a work light in there." Man make light,,,light should work!") :fb I dont know if these batteries are different from say an atv battery ( Which I had used successively in the past) But I can not get any power out of the 12V Power wheels battery - except on a Volt meter. Any ideas? :thinking: :worship:
If it dont fit, Force it!
tearbum67
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:07 pm

:o First thing comes to mind is to make sure the light is 12vdc. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Dale M. » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:46 pm

Typically these batteries are gel cells and should respond just like any other battery..... Clue here is "battery has been sitting for years"...... Its probably gone bad internally and though it can produce enough voltage to register on meter, it probably has no capacity (amperage) in which to power your lamps... Essentially it probably died setting on shelf...

And as Miriam mentions check lamp voltage and circuitry...

If you have good lamp circuit, what is battery voltage reading when lamp is turned on? The real test of a batter is under load.

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:56 pm

Dale M. wrote:Typically these batteries are gel cells and should respond just like any other battery..... Clue here is "battery has been sitting for years"...... Its probably gone bad internally and though it can produce enough voltage to register on meter, it probably has no capacity (amperage) in which to power your lamps... Essentially it probably died setting on shelf...

You may be able to take it to an auto parts store and have them "Load Test" it. If it is OK, it should be enough to run cabin lights, etc.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:05 pm

Dale M. wrote:Typically these batteries are gel cells and should respond just like any other battery..... Clue here is "battery has been sitting for years"...... Its probably gone bad internally and though it can produce enough voltage to register on meter, it probably has no capacity (amperage) in which to power your lamps... Essentially it probably died setting on shelf...

I agree

Even when new, those batteries were nothing special - They were designed to last about as long as the cheap all plastic toy they were designed to be used in and that lifespan was typically measured in days - Not years

A child who got one of them for Christmas and still had a usable toy by the following Christmas was a rare kid indeed

For a tear, if you want a small, lightweight, spillproof battery just for lighting, I would look into a small AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) motorcycle battery and a suitable trickle charger - That should last you several years

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

12V battery

Postby tearbum67 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:13 pm

Well thanks everyone for all the info. Havent had time to checkinto this anymore scence my post. but if all else fails I guess Ill just have to brake down and drag in my work light. Or steal my sons ATV battery again. That worked before so I know every thing is O.K. w/ circut. Thanks again one and all. :beautiful:
If it dont fit, Force it!
tearbum67
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BrwBier » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:46 pm

If its just during the build that you want the light for then skip the battery and just hook up the light to the charger. I have an old jumper pack that the battery shows voltage but will not light a bulb, so I junked the jump pack and use the charger for testing light circuits. It puts out 12v and works just great and if and when it fails, just toss it, the battery is already gone.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:05 am

BrwBier wrote:If its just during the build that you want the light for then skip the battery and just hook up the light to the charger. I have an old jumper pack that the battery shows voltage but will not light a bulb, so I junked the jump pack and use the charger for testing light circuits. It puts out 12v and works just great and if and when it fails, just toss it, the battery is already gone.
Brwbier

I just use my cordless drill battery to test with. I have a 14.4v and a 12v the 14.4 is a POS so I use the 12v one most of the time anyway. Both will work though.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:53 am

I am looking into the black & Decker electromate 400. I tripped over it yesterday on this very forum. 120v inverter with it's own battery pack. It has 12 v capabilities with built in charger and an integral air compressor all with overload and hook up protection. You can even jump start your vehicle if needed. I intend to use air to pressure my water storage tank so the bonus of the compressor is a pleasant suprise. By the time I spend 60 - 75 bucks for a decent battery, a charging system for it ,and a small air compressor I think I will be money way ahead to incorporate this unit into the tear.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Electrical Secrets