Automotive Battery Charger

Anything electric, AC or DC

Automotive Battery Charger

Postby kiltedwon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:05 pm

I've read alot about the 12v electrical systems, and I know many teardroppers probably campout for longer periods of time than I do, but I was wondering ....

I hear alot about converters/inverters the types you see in RVs or boats, but is there a problem with just hooking up to the car battery charger when I get home? I'm not sure how many charging "stages" it has or even if it has any, maybe that's just for the RV chargers. Its the kind that has 2amp trickle/15amp charge.

FYI: I only use power for a CPAP and a few cabin lights.

Wouldn't this work out ok?
kiltedwon
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:01 pm

A battery charger is all I use. It is a good quality 6 amp boat battery charger...the kind you can leave on charge indefinately without hurting the battery.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

re. Automotive battery charger

Postby lwbittle » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:01 pm

I installed an automotive Black and Decker full automatic electronic battery charger 6/4/2 amp. I got it at Wal Mart for cheap, and it seems to do what I want. It will charge the full 6amps when needed and drop down as the battery tops off. When the battery is topped off it automatically cuts back and maintains the proper levels. The only thing that I don't care for is that the fan runs continuously but that is better than not cycling when the charger needs it.
Nothing is ever simple.....
lwbittle
Teardrop Builder

Re: Automotive Battery Charger

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:30 pm

kiltedwon wrote:I hear alot about converters/inverters the types you see in RVs or boats, but is there a problem with just hooking up to the car battery charger when I get home?
Standard lead acid batteries don't like being discharged and then left in a discharged state for long periods . . . . but then you could buy a new one every other year and probably not worry about it

A small solar panel could begin the trickle charge on the way home or you could hook up the trailer's battery to charge off the car's alternator . . . . I'm doing both

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:29 am

I use a car charger for my battery. I also have my car setup to charge while driving.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets