Grounding questions...frame vs grounding bar...

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Alphacarina » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:10 am

kayakrguy wrote:Several times the point was raised that grounding to the frame is not ideal because, among other things, when the hitch bounces (separates breiftly from the ball) you lose ground, trailer lights flicker...

I thought the ground to the car frame was maintained throught the ground wire from the car to the trailer wire harness and then to the trailer frame.

To wit: The wire doesn't stop acting as a ground when the hitch bounces

That's true - There SHOULD be a wire in the trailer connector which ties the tow vehicle frame to the trailer frame and for exactly the reasons you stated

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:58 pm

Don,

thanks for the seaview link. I concur with your point about West Marine...way overprices....ditto for almost all RV retailers.

Bobhenry...

I think for clarity purposes it would be simpler to say that it is better to ground directly to the vehicle battery ground via the grounding wire than to ground indirectly through the frame.

Direct vs Indirect grounding is the real issue--either way the ultimate grounding is to the vehicle's battery ground on the vehicle frame...

Thanks guys,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets