circuit breaker box and battery connection

Anything electric, AC or DC

circuit breaker box and battery connection

Postby jeepr » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:29 pm

I have a marine circuit breaker box. I was wondering if I could hook up one of the circuits to the converter? That way, if the trailer was plugged into 110, if I wanted to charge the battery I would just need to flip the circuit breaker. Or would it be better to just run the converter right to the battery and use my breakers for other stuff?

I have one of these
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:42 pm

That is a 12 volt DC power distribution panel - It's common buss bar is connected directly to the battery positive and all the citcuit breakers connect load circuits directly to the battery, through the circuit breaker

They make similar panels for AC power distribution where the main buss is connected to the AC power source and then you use the breakers to turn the loads on and off . . . . and the battery charger is usually one of those loads, as well as your AC outlets and a separate circuit for a heater, microwave, etc

The DC side of the battery charger is usually permanently connected to the battery - No circuit breaker needed as the charger usually has DC fuses on the output wires . . . . but if yours doesn't you would need to add an appropriately sized fuse in tghe positive wire - The charger wouldn't be connected to or through the panel you have now

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets