Charger Noise

Anything electric, AC or DC

Charger Noise

Postby chris roche » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:50 am

The charger in my stock Silver Shadow makes an annoying, loud hum. From research here, it seems advisable to replace it with a Battery Tender 5 amp unit. Can anyone tell me if these chargers are quiet? I would really prefer one that is silent. Thanks.
chris roche
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:20 pm

Hum from chargers are usually noise from laminations in transformer vibrating.... A fully solid state (no transformer) charger shroud no produce any noise...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm

While I agree about the source of the noise, I don't think you'll find a charger without a transformer. Modern designs need much smaller transformers than traditional units, but I would still expect all of them to have a transformer. The transformer may run at a much higher frequency than 60 Hz, which could help.

My old manual charger hums, but my new regular "smart" charger and my battery maintainer do not make any noise that I've noticed... although I don't sleep right beside them. The trailer's built-in converter is in-between: it hums, but not objectionably - it doesn't buzz.

I doubt a new 5 amp of any decent design would make noticeable noise.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:49 pm

brian_bp wrote:While I agree about the source of the noise, I don't think you'll find a charger without a transformer. Modern designs need much smaller transformers than traditional units, but I would still expect all of them to have a transformer. The transformer may run at a much higher frequency than 60 Hz, which could help

Most of the new, all solid state battery chargers don't use transformers any more - The ones used on sailboats haven't had them for several years and I think even the smaller portable units don't anymore either

"Solid-state chargers
The latest thing in battery charging, these chargers are lightweight (no transformer) and very efficient, but expensive. The only 2 brands currently available are from Todd and Statpower. And if they say "50 amp," you'll get 50 amp into empty batteries.. Charging current is controlled electronically for best efficiency"

I'm going to use a small Vector charger in my tear and I'm pretty sdure it doesn't have a transformer either, though it is a little expensive - About $50 for the 15 amp version

http://www.vectormfg.com/battery-chargers.php

Most inverters still use (toroid) transformers I think, but thery're not really needed in chargers anymore. I'll take apart my Vector when it gets here and check and see for sure ;)

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:11 pm

Alphacarina wrote:Most of the new, all solid state battery chargers don't use transformers any more - The ones used on sailboats haven't had them for several years and I think even the smaller portable units don't anymore either

That's interesting. I know that small (1 A or less) low-voltage (e.g. 5V) DC supplies have become much smaller recently, and I assume that they don't use transformers, but I didn't expect a transformerless battery charger.

Alphacarina wrote:I'm going to use a small Vector charger in my tear and I'm pretty sdure it doesn't have a transformer either, though it is a little expensive - About $50 for the 15 amp version

My charger is a VEC1088 AF. Curious after this discussion, I just pulled out the 11 screws which hold the rear case part, providing access to 8 more screws holding the aluminum housing onto the front... and found that it still doesn't readily come apart. Not wanting to break anything, I settled for a peek into the interior, and saw at least one small transformer, in addition to a couple of toroidal coils presumably serving as parts of filters.

My "smart" battery maintainer (house-branded by Canadian Tire but built by Schumacher) also has a small transformer (that one was easier to get apart when I needed to clean it up a while ago).

Anyway, I doubt the transformer is taking the 60 Hz AC input directly, and I wouldn't expect much hum.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BrwBier » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:43 pm

Is it possible to insulate the charger form any hard surface. That might make it quet.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets