My wiring plans

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:05 pm

Maybe it the DOS, and the WWWLX browser!!! It just doesn't cut it...

LOL

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Wiring plans

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:13 pm

I am fairly new to this board, but have been reading it for about 5 or 6 mos. :thumbsup: This is my first post :D I am going to build the 'Cubby' from Kuffel Creek. :twisted: Most likely will not start until mid-March (too many jobs around the house that need to be finished first) :x Anyway, I wanted to share my take on the Wiring Plans of Joanne. I plan on leaving things just the way she has them for the Trailer Lights and the Charging Circuit, have made a few changes in the Cabin configuration. I could not figure out how to get the image into my message body :cry: , so it is posted in my personal gallery. I am also considering adding a battery charger with the power converter instead of the tow vehicle charging the on board battery. What's the consensus?

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Wiring Plan

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:28 pm

This time it worked. :shock:

Comments?
Last edited by toypusher on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
toypusher
Site Admin

Re: Wiring Plan

Postby bdosborn » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:38 pm

toypusher wrote:This time it worked. :shock:

Comments?

Need some revisions on the convertor; no connection to 120V. Also, there really isn't a need for dedicated circuits for each pair of lights, since the loads are so small. Unless, you want to have a more diverse circuiting scheme (meaning that if a wire goes bad you don't loose all your lights). I ran all my wires along the sides so I didn't have to drill holes in the roof bows. One wire feeds all the lights on a side. Also, I would provide dedicated circuits to the 12v outlets. You never know how big a load you'll want to plug into them. Finally, it would be a good idea to provide a circuit breaker for the 120v circuit. I think there's a long thread on the merits of that somewhere. Notice I said revisions - I don't know about you, but I don't make mistakes. Just revisions.

:lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

What program?

Postby Guy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:50 pm

Dear Joanne,

What program did you use for your wiring diagram?
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: What program?

Postby Joanne » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:00 am

Guy wrote:Dear Joanne,

What program did you use for your wiring diagram?

Hey Guy!

I used Corel Draw to create the drawing, then exported it as a .jpg file. Most any drawing program would work just as well, but I just happen to have Corel Draw. I'm guessing that Kerry used photo editing software to extend my plans to meet his needs. Technology is so fun...when it works that is! :worship:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Next put the battery charger

Postby Guy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:10 am

Okay you guys and gals, now let us have the diagram for the battery charger for this set up, including the line from the tow vehicle, its battery and alternator, and the battery isolator :BE
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Wiring Plans

Postby toypusher » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:52 am

Bruce,

Thanks for the feedback. I have the power converter connected to shore power (just forget the red wire) :oops: The GFIC (Ground Fault Interupt Circuit) receptacle should take care of the circuit. I did plan a circuit breaker at the input of the Shore Power and again forgot to put it in the drawing - :? DOO! Dedicated circuits for the 12V DC outlets sounds like a good idea and I wil change that. I stuck with the dedicated circuits to make it easier to troubleshoot (if necessary) and to be more flexible toward future expansion.

Joanne

You are right, I use Photoshop 7 (My favorite graphics tool) to make the mods. I have a couple of other graphic programs that are real nice and are free. I will try to remember to post the names and or links to websites for anyone interested. I believe that there are a few free CAD programs out there too.

Guy,

Joanne's original drawings show the use of the tow vehicle to charge the teardrop battery. I am considering a battery charger that is hooked to the shore power and used to keep the battery charged when I am on the power converter, or when the tear is in storage (Hopefully, that will not be very often).

I will try to get the drawings revised and posted tonight or at least over the weekend.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby angib » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:56 am

toypusher wrote:Comments?

Kerry,

Electrically, this looks fine.

But, from my international perspective, I can see a political problem. Looking at your illustration it is apparent that you intend to get your master switch and selector switch by stealing these discontinued models from the wall of Dr Frankenstein's laboratory. This is going to have a fairly severe impact on the Transylvanian labour market and may lead to an offical complaint from the Romanian government.

I recommend you purchase new switches from any reputable electrical supplier.
Andrew ;)
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Joanne » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:29 pm

angib wrote:
toypusher wrote:Comments?

Kerry,

Electrically, this looks fine.

But, from my international perspective, I can see a political problem. Looking at your illustration it is apparent that you intend to get your master switch and selector switch by stealing these discontinued models from the wall of Dr Frankenstein's laboratory. This is going to have a fairly severe impact on the Transylvanian labour market and may lead to an offical complaint from the Romanian government.

I recommend you purchase new switches from any reputable electrical supplier.
Andrew ;)

Is that where these funny bolts in my neck came from? I had been wondering.

Mrs. Frankenstein

P.S. - My dog's name is Abby. That is short for AbbyNormal.
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Wiring plans

Postby toypusher » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:41 pm

Andrew

I think that is good advise, I mean, look what happend to Joanne! :shock:

Hope the new drawings (1 with and 1 without the battery charger) will meet with mass approval :worship:

And I promised some FREE graphics programs. Here are 3 that I know are pretty good to even great:

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp

http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dynami ... windows%2F

http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dynami ... mes_en.htm

Kerry
Last edited by toypusher on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:32 am

Ah... that's exactly what I did on the tiny Benroy with the selector switch!

Mike...

P.S. Kerry... How would you rate those 3 programs in terms of easy to use? Shallow learning curve?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Wiring Plans

Postby toypusher » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:34 am

Mike

Nice work! :thumbsup: I plan on having an separate enclosure for all the wiring connections. Some kind of box with a door for access. I need to get the components together and decide on placement in the galley of the Cubby. Also playing with putting the power converter and charger in a tongue box with the battery. :thinking:

The 3 programs that I listed are all a bit complicated, to use well, but are not that hard to figure out the basics. I have never used the free version of the PhotoPlus program from serif. I have used the GIMP a fair amount and it has all the power of Photoshop, but has a different interface. I am most familar with the GIMP because I use Linux quite a bit. (or at least used too) I have used the PhotoFiltre very little as well, but it has almost the same options and interface as PhotoShop. If someone has a fair knowledge of almost any graphics program, they should be able to pickup on one of these. There is a ton of information on the net about them. If anyone has an 'Ollie's' near them, then they probably can get a book for $7 - 10! :applause:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Re: Wiring plans

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:42 am

toypusher wrote:Hope the new drawings (1 with and 1 without the battery charger) will meet with mass approval :worship:

Kerry

I'm confused after looking at the wiring diagram some more. Usally, a 12V converter charges the battery as well as supplies the loads. There's no need to use a seperate battery charger. The selecter switch as shown ensures that the converter will never charge the battery, which I don't think we want. Did you mean to show wiring for an invertor instead (12VDC to 120V AC)? If so, the selector switch would shut off the 12v power whenever you used it. If it is a convertor you can ditch the selector switch. If its an invertor, I'd move the selector switch to the 120V output. I can mark up ypur drawing and send you a PDF if that would help.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: Wiring plans

Postby toypusher » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:09 pm

bdosborn wrote:
I'm confused after looking at the wiring diagram some more. Usally, a 12V converter charges the battery as well as supplies the loads. There's no need to use a seperate battery charger. The selecter switch as shown ensures that the converter will never charge the battery, which I don't think we want. Did you mean to show wiring for an invertor instead (12VDC to 120V AC)? If so, the selector switch would shut off the 12v power whenever you used it. If it is a convertor you can ditch the selector switch. If its an invertor, I'd move the selector switch to the 120V output. I can mark up ypur drawing and send you a PDF if that would help.
Bruce

Bruce,

The power converter is just that and not a battery charger. To have it continuously connected to the battery would cause overcharging and overheating (Don't want it to explode on me). The selector switch is to ensure that doesn't happen. I would only use the batter when on the move to keep the fridge cold or when there was no shore power available. The second drawing shows the battery charger that would only be used when on shore power or when the tear is stored at home. I guess that you can get a power converter that will also act as a battery charger, but I am not planning on that route, so have not really researched it. If you want to mark up my drawings and send them to me, Please feel free to do so. I would really be interested in your ideas and further thoughts. Just as an additional note: I forgot to put the circuit in for the water pump that I will be using. Maybe I will remember to put that in on the next rendition.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets