Battery Tender question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Keith B » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:00 am

When ever I "plug" in to charge my batteries I always turn on one light so there is a little "draw" 1-2amps and 100% isn't thrown into the battery; thus far, I've never over-charged. It's what the converter said to do... just a thought.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby TexstarBob » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:06 pm

A 1.5A charger may be okay if you don't use the battery much, but a good three stage charger even at much higher amperage shouldn't be over charging and boiling water out of the battery.

I have a Schauer JAC1212 12Amp charger and keep it charging constantly when the trailer is parked, whether it's in the garage, or at a campsite. While on the road, I run a 120v refrigerator with a 750 watt inverter connected to my 115ah battery (10-12 hours sometime), and then recharge the battery while I camp. It's always been fully charged by sunrise and the battery looses very little water . . . maybe a cup or so total after 3 months. To be honest though, I've only had the battery and charger installed for about 4 months, and only taken one extended trip since then, so it will take some time to see if this holds.

Bob
TexstarBob
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets