WFCO 8725 Installation Questions

Anything electric, AC or DC

WFCO 8725 Installation Questions

Postby sandman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:16 pm

Well, I am slowly making my way through getting ready to install the WFCO 8725 Converter. Ran out to Home Depot with the owners manual in-hand and managed to find some Cutler-Hammer Circuit Breakers. Being overwhelmed with the selection, I bought a 30amp, 20amp, and 15amp. It states you have to use one for branch circuits and 1 for main. I have NO clue what that means. So how many breakers am I supposed to install and which amp one do I go with ? The WFCO unit only has space for 2 breakers so do I install two...I am not wiring up any 110 plugs for now if that helps.

While I was at Home Depot, I found a replacement 30amp dryer cord like Sonetpro and others recommended so I bought a 6 foot dryer cord to use as my power cord from the shore power inlet to the converter. I guess I need to saw off the 3 blade end and wire that to the shore power inlet...does this sound right?

I have a feeling I am going to get zapped before this is over...lol. :cry: Sonetpro was right that the manual appears to have been written by Chinese Monkies. I can hardly wait to sit there staring at where to hook the wires up as thoughts of sparks and a teardrop on fire go through my head. :(
sandman
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:10 pm

I just did what you are doing this week. I am electriclly changenged as well. I have 2 main circuits. A 20A breaker for my AC unit and a 15A for my Microwave and 2 outlets. This is the thread that helped me out the most.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... light=wfco

There is a diagram from Sonetpro that is easier to follow then the WFCO directions. It took me a while but I got everything to work the first try. I ran #10 wire from the shore socket to the WFCO. Just remember when you go to the DC side white is ground in the WFCO directions. Good luck, it can be done.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:56 am

I have the WFCO installed. The main breaker is the one that goes to the charger / converter circuit of the WFCO. The other one is for 110V outlets if you install any. So if you are not wireing for 110 you should only need one breaker. I used 15 amp for the main and for my 110 outlets. Unless you are running A/C you most likely do not want or need more than 15 amp breakers.

Where are you installing your battery? If it will be on the tongue be sure to use a heavy guage, I used 8, and mount a 30 amp fuse very close to the battery. You need to protect the wire from the tongue to the WIFCO. I mounted my battery on the tongue because I was concerned about gasses from the battery. If you mount the battery inside the camper be sure it is well vented to the outside.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets