GFCI: yea or nay?

Anything electric, AC or DC

GFCI: yea or nay?

Postby nikwax » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:31 pm

I'm remembering reading a few threads on GFCI's and issues with them. Seems like if you connect an onboard GFCI to an external (campground supplied) GFCI then one of them will fault.

What is the current (ha ha) line of thought on onboard GFCI's?
nikwax
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:41 pm

I use a 12ga extension cord to connect to shore power...it has a GFIC plug on the male end ofit...I haven't encountered any problems using it at a GFIC protected power pole in a campground.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:56 pm

I put a GFCI plug as my first 110 volt plug in the tear after the circuit breaker. I don't trust anybody when it comes to electricity. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:05 pm

I inadvertently shorted out my 120 v side while wiring and the GFI that is 1st in line simply tripped. All of my other outlets are fed off of the load side of this one. My question is if the GFI will trip for a short as well as a ground fault is the circuit breaker even necessary ???
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby madjack » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:09 pm

bh, I would say YES...they serve two different purposes...the GFI will trip with only microamperage leaking...the CB will trip only when higher amps are detected.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jeep_bluetj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:10 pm

The 2nd GFI won't trip the first unless something's wrong with it.

I've changed every single circuit in my house except for the fridge to GFI. Saved my bacon several times.

I'd definitely recommend for those doing 110v wiring in a trailer to GFI protect the entire thing. You may get some nuciance trips on a AC, but you'll be glad they're there if your hatch leaks.
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:16 pm

I have a GFI adapter that I use. If I have some of the nusance trips then I can just pull in out of line. The problem comes mainly when you are wet and you touch something electrical.
Last edited by Gerdo on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:32 pm

bobhenry wrote:My question is if the GFI will trip for a short as well as a ground fault is the circuit breaker even necessary ???
They are not designed to trip for short circuits - In a short, the current on the hot wire and the current on the neutral wire are equal and that's 'OK' with the GFCI. GFCI's trip when some of the hot wire current is leaked to ground and it does that by monitoring to see if the current in the hot and neutral wires are equal - If it's not, some of the current has found a path to ground (like through your body) and THAT trips the GFCI

Yes, you still need a circuit breaker prior to the GFCI to protect from shorts which can cause fires

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:34 am

I use AC .01% of the time so I went simple with my AC.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:01 am

Alphacarina wrote:
bobhenry wrote:My question is if the GFI will trip for a short as well as a ground fault is the circuit breaker even necessary ???
They are not designed to trip for short circuits - In a short, the current on the hot wire and the current on the neutral wire are equal and that's 'OK' with the GFCI. GFCI's trip when some of the hot wire current is leaked to ground and it does that by monitoring to see if the current in the hot and neutral wires are equal - If it's not, some of the current has found a path to ground (like through your body) and THAT trips the GFCI

Yes, you still need a circuit breaker prior to the GFCI to protect from shorts which can cause fires

Don

Exactly right! Both because they both have a purpose. You can also use an power strip that provides both. See the request for pictures for some expamples.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=20164

and Steve's sticky on the subject. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:32 pm

I plan on wiring my AC panel through the GFIC plug, and all additional outlets from it.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby tonyj » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Yea.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nikwax » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:41 pm

I went with a GFI breaker in my breaker box, as my walls are too shallow for full sized outlet boxes.
nikwax
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets