VDC Battery Tender/Charger

Anything electric, AC or DC

VDC Battery Tender/Charger

Postby Toytaco2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the VDC Battery Charger/Tenders:

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12248.htm

I know they're rather expensive, but they claim to nearly eliminate battery sulphation and have quick recharge times. The reviews linked to their web site look good as well. Might they be worth the difference (they can be purchased on the net for about $30 less than the MSRP)?

One question I would have, is can the charger be in use with the battery while also using the trailer lights, fan, etc., which I understand is possible with the Deltran chargers?
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:41 pm

That is without a doubt, the most sophisticated battery charger I've ever seen . . . . and I've been around battery chargers for a long, long time

If you don't mind spending the money, there's no way you can go wrong with that one - Yep . . . . hook it up and forget about it. You can leave it connected all the time

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:40 pm

T-2...that is one helluva charger but I don't know that it would do twice as much as one of these http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-te ... arger.html which costs less than half and has a proven track record around here...but it's your money!!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jss06 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:28 am

I bought a 45 AMP progresive dynamics Power converter with the built in charge wizard for $120 on ebay. Its a refurbed unit but works great. It will charge and maintain the batteries plus give you shore power capabilities in camp grounds with electrical hook ups.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tonyj » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:18 am

madjack wrote:T-2...that is one helluva charger but I don't know that it would do twice as much as one of these http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-te ... arger.html which costs less than half and has a proven track record around here...but it's your money!!!!!!
madjack 8)

MJ,

I just jumped OFF the Deltran bus with the failure of my 2nd Deltran charger. I'll send it back to them for repair, but will put it on a vehicle I can afford to have it fail on. I purchased and installed a CTEK 7000 2 weeks ago and hope it will revive my almost fully drained Optima. This model CTEK is also pricey, but maybe I won't have to worry about my battery and charger anymore.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:07 am

Tony, I hate too hear that but it is good info to know...my Deltrans is still working fine, I hope it continues to doso...keep us informed on the CTEK...it would have been my nest choice.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nut » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:12 am

tonyj wrote:
madjack wrote:T-2...that is one helluva charger but I don't know that it would do twice as much as one of these http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-te ... arger.html which costs less than half and has a proven track record around here...but it's your money!!!!!!
madjack 8)

MJ,

I just jumped OFF the Deltran bus with the failure of my 2nd Deltran charger. I'll send it back to them for repair, but will put it on a vehicle I can afford to have it fail on. I purchased and installed a CTEK 7000 2 weeks ago and hope it will revive my almost fully drained Optima. This model CTEK is also pricey, but maybe I won't have to worry about my battery and charger anymore.

I know there's always bad units for anything. You can buy a 1000 of something and they'll all be great, then buy number 1001 and it's junk. So I'm not saying tonyj is wrong, but in my own experience, the "battery tenders" are great. I've used 2 now for about 3 years with no problems. And with no heat in the garage, Chicago winters can get pretty bad. I learned of them from 2 friends who have used them also, for even longer with no problems.
Nut
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:32 am

...thanks for that report Nut...may be the Deltrans like Chicago winters better than Corpus Christi's summers.....
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:24 am

I assume Deltran's are pretty good units otherwise there wouldn't be so many in use. I am sure my experience is an exception and I will still continue to recommend the units to others, but with my experience as an added caveat.

My main reason for not replacing with another Deltran is the adage that "Insanity is performing the same action over and over, but expecting a different outcome." Anyone who knows me will testify to my unstable mind--I just don't want to show the proof! :crazy:
(So the repaired Deltran will get installed on my truck at the shop that sit for months at a time without being started and always has a discharged battery)

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Toytaco2 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm still learning about battery chargers, converter/chargers, etc. That CTEK 7000 is new to me, but I'm going to look into it. I'm pretty certain I'm going to keep my electrics as simple as possible. Right now I have purchased a Fantastic Vent fan, 12 volt flourescents for the cabin and galley and porch lights for each side of the TD -- No battery or charger yet. These electrics have a pretty minimal amperage draw. I'm thinking if I use 110 at all, it might just be with a power strip and no hard wiring, although I might change my mind.

My concern is this, are these sophisticated multi stage chargers (like Deltran, VDC, CTEK) able to properly charge the battery while the 12 volt electrics in the TD are being used at the same time. In other words, it would be great to be able to use all the electrics as much as I wanted while camping where 110 is available knowing that the charger was putting the amperage back in the battery at the same time. Does it work that way with these chargers?
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:37 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:In other words, it would be great to be able to use all the electrics as much as I wanted while camping where 110 is available knowing that the charger was putting the amperage back in the battery at the same time. Does it work that way with these chargers?

Yes, you can do that - Hook it up and forget it

Expensive, computer controlled multi stage battery chargers are wirth what they cost in the long run - Batteries hooked to them last a lot longer than they would if you were using a cheaper charger. When you consider that a good deep cycle Optima is $150+, getting an extra 3 or 4 years of use from it can go a long way toward footing thr bill for your charger

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks to Tonyj's post I discovered the CTEK chargers. In checking them out, I found the CTEK 7000 model has a "supply" mode which the instructions say can be used as a "power supply" even without a battery in the system. It puts out 7 amps which should be more than enough to keep my battery topped off when plugged into shore power since the Fantastic Fan only pulls a little over 3 amps on high setting and less than 2 on low. The florescent light fixtures I have are also low amp draw.

After some EBAY discounts I had accumulated I managed to pick it up for just under $75 with free shipping. Not a bad deal for this charger since HD shows it on their web site for $124 plus shipping.
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby tonyj » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:03 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:Thanks to Tonyj's post I discovered the CTEK chargers. In checking them out, I found the CTEK 7000 model has a "supply" mode which the instructions say can be used as a "power supply" even without a battery in the system. It puts out 7 amps which should be more than enough to keep my battery topped off when plugged into shore power since the Fantastic Fan only pulls a little over 3 amps on high setting and less than 2 on low. The florescent light fixtures I have are also low amp draw.

After some EBAY discounts I had accumulated I managed to pick it up for just under $75 with free shipping. Not a bad deal for this charger since HD shows it on their web site for $124 plus shipping.

That supply mode was one of the factors for me as well--just wish I could have figured out the deep discount you got. I hate paying retail. But someone has to get this economy jump started.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby exminnesotaboy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:41 pm

I picked up a ctek 3000 approx 1 year ago when my company picked up the line. I mounted it in my galley near my battery and it has served me just fine.

One (minor) complaint. The loop leads for mounting to the marine battery screw-down posts are Euro sized, which is just a bit smaller than the American standard. I had to cut them off and use larger crimp-on ones. It is possible that they now use U.S. spec sizes.

Several of my customers that bought the 7000 were VERY happy on how it brought back supposedly-dead Optima batteries
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby tonyj » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:45 pm

exminnesotaboy wrote:Several of my customers that bought the 7000 were VERY happy on how it brought back supposedly-dead Optima batteries

Ditto to that for me. I thought my year old marine Optima was toast. I charged it up, but with a load it went right down, and I mean a small load. The Ctek 7000 has a "Recondition" mode, so I tried it out. Per the instructions, charged the battery to full, then put it into "Recon" mode. It apparently zaps it with higher charge voltage (or some other magic electronic voodoo) over 4 hours. My battery now seems to be fine, and I can again be a happy camper.

(But it will not resurrect a truly dead battery or one with bad cells.)

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Electrical Secrets