Problems with 12 V and 110 in Same Conduit?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm

:lol: For those of you who are unfamiliar with EXIT signs here is a pdf with diagrams.

http://www.dual-lite.com/products/instr ... _instr.pdf

Brad such is the electrical forum. Funny thing is we are all still here to talk about it. 8) :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: "quotes"

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Bradleyjay wrote:Prolly figure out how to do the "quote" thingy. Sorry

To do the quote thing you just look to the top right and push the quote button. You can also copy-paste and then push quote in the menu of the reply box.

If you push quote or edit you can see the syntax for typing it in.
;)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:46 am

Auntie M you whacked me didn't ya :oops:

Oh well we are supposed to play nice !

I sorry :o
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:44 am

bobhenry wrote:Auntie M you whacked me didn't ya :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Not me. :R
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby wlooper89 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Miriam C. wrote:
bobhenry wrote:Auntie M you whacked me didn't ya :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Not me. :R

I too enjoyed this topic and I am sure Miriam did not mean to whack anyone. Bobhenry’s comments and everyone else's have added a lot to my enjoyment as they made me feel better about the way I did my trailer wiring. Even comments representing opinions at the other end of the spectrum were helpful, persons not wanting to even put A/C and D/C in the same trailer.

What I did was mix A/C and D/C wires in bundles and small raceways similar in size to conduit. I did try to keep the connectors/connections for A/C and D/C in separate junction boxes. The idea of dual voltage lights may cause me to re-think that. 8)

This photo shows an A/C outlet with D/C wire passing through to a D/C light, no break or connection in the D/C wire until the light.

Although I have not done so yet I want to try the D/C light with an electric blanket or other A/C item plugged in, looking closely to see if there is a flicker in the light. I doubt there will be. The rectangular light is a LG factory original that runs on AA battery. Seldom used now.

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Getting in to this 'way late, but just read the entire thread, and it reminded me of a funny!

So I was talking to this guy, and he was telling me how dangerous electricity is. So I say "it's not nearly so dangerous if you understand it". Kinda like women. (who understands women? Not me! Love em anyway, though!)

So he says, "No, my uncle onetime was building a cement block porch, and he had the walls built, but not the pad on top. It started to rain like crazy, and his porch was filling with water. He went out with an impact drill and a masonry bit to drill a drain hole in his porch, and when the drill went through the block and the water came gushing out, he got fried!"

"I think he underestimated the conductivity of the water..." I started to reply, when he begins again.

"My cousin had a pipe break under his house. He climbed down under with a drop-light to check it out. He was crawling through all that water, and when he got to the broken pipe, he set that drop light down, and he got fried!"

I said, "Boy, you are right! Electricity is dangerous! Probably more dangerous in your family than most!"
:lol:

No disrespect to the departed intended
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:45 pm

:lol: :whistle: :angel: :whistle: :rofl:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Larwyn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Getting in to this 'way late, but just read the entire thread, and it reminded me of a funny!

So I was talking to this guy, and he was telling me how dangerous electricity is. So I say "it's not nearly so dangerous if you understand it". Kinda like women. (who understands women? Not me! Love em anyway, though!)

So he says, "No, my uncle onetime was building a cement block porch, and he had the walls built, but not the pad on top. It started to rain like crazy, and his porch was filling with water. He went out with an impact drill and a masonry bit to drill a drain hole in his porch, and when the drill went through the block and the water came gushing out, he got fried!"

"I think he underestimated the conductivity of the water..." I started to reply, when he begins again.

"My cousin had a pipe break under his house. He climbed down under with a drop-light to check it out. He was crawling through all that water, and when he got to the broken pipe, he set that drop light down, and he got fried!"

I said, "Boy, you are right! Electricity is dangerous! Probably more dangerous in your family than most!"

Cliff,

As both cases involved water rather than grease, I think the relatives would have been steamed rather than fried............ :lol: :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:23 pm

Larwyn wrote:
Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Getting in to this 'way late, but just read the entire thread, and it reminded me of a funny!

Cliff,

As both cases involved water rather than grease, I think the relatives would have been steamed rather than fried............ :lol: :lol:

His story, not mine... I guess he didn't understand cooking either.

btw, our conversation started with my asking him if he got permission from the city to string his Christmas lights across the cul de sac from the street lights. :lol:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Senior Ninja » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:51 pm

We planned two inside lights and two outside lights. (12 V)
We wired the walls before completing the walls. Also
in the walls we cut the clamps off a jump starting cable,
ran it from the tongue box to the inside of the wall
and brought it out in the kitchen. There it enters
into an automotive type fuse block. There's also a
set of fuses in the tongue box close to the battery.
While cruising through HF while building the trailer
frame I found a two pack of plastic automotive wire
covering. Turns out each piece was just the right length
to protect the trailer wiring. What luck.
We also wired in a 12 volt DC to 110 AC converter.
So far we've only used it in test mode to run a microwave.
Turns out we really don't need it, but it's nice the know it's there.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets