LED bulbs

Anything electric, AC or DC

LED bulbs

Postby gperks » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:09 pm

here is a link with some leds that gets me thinking, looks like i could replace all my old bulbs really easy. http://superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=OTHER#1156-PCB-W24
gperks
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wlooper89 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:48 pm

The LED replacement bulbs look interesting. I am wondering what the advantages might be. All my present trailer running lights are incandescent. There are 16 of them for the tail lights (brown or green wire) and 4 filaments for the brake/turn signals. I rather like the retro look of old type.

The incandescent tail lights together draw almost 5 amps. My impression is the LED's may be brighter. Would this also apply to these replacement bulbs? And maybe they draw fewer amps. I am not sure. :thinking:

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:59 pm

If I recall correctly the numbers I've seen the claims are they draw about 1/10th the amps that incandescent bulbs use. Also the quality ones have a much longer life.

superbrite is a good supplier, been around a while now.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:36 am

With the outlandish price and the fact that they all run off the TV system, I don't feel it's worth the extra $$.

Now for interior lights; they rule! Normally standard LEDs only draw about .02 amps.

I'll be making my own LED lights. In bulk, they cost about 20 cents each
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:17 am

Ageless wrote:With the outlandish price and the fact that they all run off the TV system, I don't feel it's worth the extra $$.

Now for interior lights; they rule! Normally standard LEDs only draw about .02 amps.

I'll be making my own LED lights. In bulk, they cost about 20 cents each

The only problem with LED lights as a fixture (not a replacement as mentioned above – but a complete unit) is the matter of failure. I once used those great LED lights on one of my builds – then had a taillight go out during a tow. Do you know how hard it is to find a replacement LED fixture! I learned real quickly that with incandescents, you can pick up a spare anywhere – not so with LEDs. But if you have one that fits an incandescent socket and a failure happens, at least you can replace just the bulb and continue towing without fear of being pulled over by a zealous traffic cop! Some food for thought
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby gperks » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:33 pm

I did also see the price, but getting just a few for the high use lights would save power. I could always keep a spare incandescent if there are problems. The nice thing is that I can add them to my fixtures in seconds.
gperks
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:04 pm

All of the exterior tail/marker lights on Mega-Mini #1 were led sealed units built to be DOT. I replaced all of the interior ones, and of all of the arrays had 1 SMD fail which did not noticeably affect the light much. However i had to adapt/butcher a number of the fixtures to do it. Mega-Mini #7 has fixtures that will accept a G4 bulb/LED and I have spares.
For off grid/boondocking #7 has a solar panel soon to be plural once I know what the current draw is likely to be.
Why is it important to have the external lights LED when the TV is carrying the load? The current used by lights is not charging the batteries. Not a big thing I am sure, but then there is the wow, neat, factor too.
:beautiful:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets