Minuses to NOT hardwiring air conditioning into 120 system?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Minuses to NOT hardwiring air conditioning into 120 system?

Postby IraRat » Fri May 20, 2005 3:08 pm

I've made my decision to go 120 only, and I ain't changing my mind.

My air conditioning unit is going to be sitting at the front on the cabin, extending onto the tongue, and that's where I also want to put my 120 box.

Because of the thicker gauge of that air conditioning's wire, and the ultimate heat buildup, I was thinking of not hardwiring that into my system, but rather, just running that line to the camping site's outlet separately.

Most sites have two receptacles anyway, right? This just seems safer and easier to me. One for the air, and the other to handle all of the other 120 load.

Now you can all tell me why I'm a total idiot for thinking about doing it like this.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Re: Minuses to NOT hardwiring air conditioning into 120 syst

Postby Nitetimes » Fri May 20, 2005 3:30 pm

IraRat wrote:
Now you can all tell me why I'm a total idiot for thinking about doing it like this.

Probably, but I'll try to restrain myself.:lol:

Those small A/C units really don't draw that much, so if you had a recepticle where your supply cord comes in and at least a 12ga supply cord you wouldn't have any problem anyway.
The only reall drawback I can see to doing what you want is one more cord to trip over.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri May 20, 2005 6:16 pm

I have 2 power strips, one by the a/c, which handles a/c, quartz heater, tv, fan... the other is for charging cell phone, etc..... Both have had their plugs cut off and meet at the shore power outlet in the wall.... very neat. Having a separate cord for your a/c is unnecessary and will get old very quickly.......

there is a shelf support on each side of the a/c. One power strip is on left, second tucked up way in the back above a/c, hardto see... board is baffle to keep cool air and return air separate.... cords are just in a storage space (extension for shore power and cable tv).... front board keeps dog away from a/c.... works as planned..

can't get the pic to embed, it's in my arnereil album...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Electrical Secrets