Boxes for 3/4 walls?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Boxes for 3/4 walls?

Postby IraRat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:47 am

I was ready to run my wires yesterday, and went to HD to pick up the wire and some switch/outlet boxes.

Am I using the right term? Just the boxes to contain any dangerous arching (not the switches or outlets).

They didn't have anything, metal or plastic, that would fit in the confines of a 3/4" framed wall.

What are you guys using, and where did you get it?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:53 am

Ira,

You could just put all your electrical in your cabinetry and not have to use the wall for switches or outlets.

Or use something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F003&product%5Fid=275%2D693

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Re: Boxes for 3/4 walls?

Postby Geron » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:05 am

IraRat wrote:I was ready to run my wires yesterday, and went to HD to pick up the wire and some switch/outlet boxes.

Am I using the right term? Just the boxes to contain any dangerous arching (not the switches or outlets).

They didn't have anything, metal or plastic, that would fit in the confines of a 3/4" framed wall.

What are you guys using, and where did you get it?

I bought double toggle switches from an R/V place that replaced Winnebago (sp?) Switches -- No box just surface mount. I still put a 1/2" bezel (From Red Oak) underneath the switch to move it out from the wall and provided an 1 1/4 space for the wiring. Just made it easier and looks fine - see my build journal.
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:25 am

Geron, that switch is only in one photo, right? The one that shows your ceiling light and fan?

Don't know. Your way looks clean and easy, but if I can go flush, I wanna do it.

And Kerry, I don't understand what that part does. I really want to have two easily accessible switches to turn on small lights, and a few outlets.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:41 am

IraRat,
You should use a marine fuse panel for your switches and it also contains the fuses. making or using the panel your primary switches for your accesories eliminating the extra (secondary) switch in the wall. Or you could mount the boxes you posted and bump them out from the sidewall with framing around the box itself and cut the wall skins around it. Them trim with wood nobody would be none the wiser
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:45 am

Woody wrote:IraRat,
You should use a marine fuse panel for your switches and it also contains the fuses. making or using the panel your primary switches for your accesories eliminating the extra (secondary) switch in the wall. Or you could mount the boxes you posted and bump them out from the sidewall with framing around the box itself and cut the wall skins around it. Them trim with wood nobody would be none the wiser

Ira,
If you take this route, go to an electrical supply place and get the 1/2 deep boxes, the are only about 1 1/2inch deep. The Blue and Orange boxes don't carry these usually.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:53 am

toypusher wrote:

Ira,
If you take this route, go to an electrical supply place and get the 1/2 deep boxes, the are only about 1 1/2inch deep. The Blue and Orange boxes don't carry these usually.

Kerry

Actually I beleive you can get these in 1" also, they are often used in finishing basements where you use furring strips on the walls with paneling. HD used to carry them but they may have quit, I haven't noticed lately.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby IraRat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:54 am

Or you could mount the boxes you posted and bump them out from the sidewall with framing around the box itself and cut the wall skins around it. Them trim with wood nobody would be none the wiser

Yeah, Woody. I think this makes more sense for me.

I'll get the thinnest ones made, let them stick out a little, and frame them. (I sense some more wacky theme trim here!)

I know it might not seem like a big deal to be able to reach for a switch in the middle of the night without getting up, but I think it would be a nice convenience. Also, I still have to deal with this issue for the receptacles, which I definitely want.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Geron » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:44 am

IraRat wrote:Geron, that switch is only in one photo, right? The one that shows your ceiling light and fan?

Don't know. Your way looks clean and easy, but if I can go flush, I wanna do it.

And Kerry, I don't understand what that part does. I really want to have two easily accessible switches to turn on small lights, and a few outlets.

Yes, That's the photo. You can go flush with these switches in a 3/4 in wall if you want the hassle/risk of bending the connecting prongs on the switches. I simply chose an easier solution/route.[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=293594&c=500&z=1"]Image[/url]

Yep, Flush would look better but I anticipated trouble squashing all them wires in that tiny space.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:51 am

Geron wrote:
IraRat wrote:Geron, that switch is only in one photo, right? The one that shows your ceiling light and fan?

Yep, Flush would look better but I anticipated trouble squashing all them wires in that tiny space.

Geron

That is alway a problem with the shallow boxes, squishing them wires in there tends to break wires and cause shorts. If you don't have a lot of practice and quite a bit of patience you are better off spacing them out and giving yourself a little more room in the box.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:53 am

Ira,

You would just mount it directly into the wall or make a small template of aluminim/wood/plastic or something like that to install it into and then put that on or in the wall. Here is a link to an earlier post that I had, just scroll down a bit and look at all the pictures. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2678

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:51 pm

So this switch has the breaker INSTALLED into it? Is that was a rocker switch is?

I'm such a shmuck when it comes to this stuff.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:02 pm

Nope, a rocker switch is just that a "SWITCH" you should plan on using some kind of box to put all your circuit breakers in and run the wiring back to it. If you don't want to use 'household' breakers due to their size, you can get speciality breakers from some of the electrical supply places on line.

Try this one - I like the ones in the lower right corner. http://order.waytekwire.com/IMAGES/M37/catalog/217_067

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:09 pm

Here's today's plan:

--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:59 pm

I recently saw some shallow outlet boxes in HD or Lowes, can't remember which one. I say boxes, but these didn't have backs, just a rectangular frame that will hold switches or sockets. These had a built-in pair of "arms" that swivel out behing the paneling and screw tight to hold the "box" in place. I think these were 1" deep and they were orange.

These are my choice for 120V AC outlets. I also saw some neat flat AC 2 plus ground wire, maybe take up 1/4" depth for the cuts in the faming and insulation to run.

Dale
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets