Boxes for 3/4 walls?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby WoodSmith » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:21 pm

cracker39 wrote:I recently saw some shallow outlet boxes in HD or Lowes, can't remember which one. I say boxes, but these didn't have backs, just a rectangular frame that will hold switches or sockets. These had a built-in pair of "arms" that swivel out behing the paneling and screw tight to hold the "box" in place. I think these were 1" deep and they were orange.

These are my choice for 120V AC outlets. I also saw some neat flat AC 2 plus ground wire, maybe take up 1/4" depth for the cuts in the faming and insulation to run.

Dale

Dale,

I think technically, that those are called "Low Voltage boxes" They are end points for phone, cable, ethernet and so on. They are designed to attach to the blue boxes. When I was rewiring my den, I looked into using them, but I couldn't find covers (plates) that would work for both the 120v socket and the data wires.

The problem with them is that they don't have backs. If all you are running is 12v to them - no worries. 120 v outlets should be enclosed in a non flamable box. If something goes wrong at the outlet, there is a risk of a spark. In extreme cases, that spark could lite up the plywood and thence your tear. I have seen more than one outlet with burn marks on the sides.

I know that you would fail an inspection if you used these in a house for 120v. Please be careful if you decide to use them.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby Woody » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:37 pm

Home Depot has them only in plastic (blue) I believe and solid backed for 120 vac.
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets