Super Simple Electrical System

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Super Simple Electrical System

Postby Bogo » Mon May 13, 2013 11:43 pm

burlesot wrote:I'm wondering if I could, instead of having the power cord terminate into a power strip, end at an 'outlet?' Just a regular 120 volt outlet. I ask because what I want to do is take the power coming in from the box at the camping site and have it go to two power plugs. I was thinking that I would just daisy chain from the one to the other. Does this make sense? Is there anything wrong with this?

You can do it, but it would be better to have some sort of fuse or circuit breaker on the incoming power.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby IslandStorm62 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:09 pm

I am also trying to figure out theproper electrical system to apply for my TD. I stumbled across this youtube video and thought it might be fairly simple and kinda clarrifies a few questions I had. I was trying to capture the wiring diagram and reproduce it for my purposes, but in additon to my minimal IT skills, I also have poor penmanship and was only able to draw out the first few blocks. :cry: I got lost when trying to draw out the 12v system. Yes it is based on a 220vac connection, but really, even I can figure out where to go 110vac 8) . Again hope this helps anyone trying to figure out the 12v wiring. I suppose it is similar to what Desert Dawg(sp?) has published, but I am not entirely sure. The question I have is on the need for different fuse amperage's (3a, 5a, 10a, 15a, etc).I could not deytermine what the amperage's of Desert Dawgs fuses were...anyone out there have an idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pQ4aW-8ls

Well, hope it helps.
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IslandStorm62 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Little curiosity here? I have very limited experience with full hookup camp sites. I've only rented two trailers in my life and one was used only at a primitive site. So basically, with the other trailer, all I did was drive up, plug in and settled down for a couple days. I did not pay any attention to how many or what types of outlets were available. So, if any of the more seasoned full hook-up campers could help me visualize what I should have seen, had I paid attention, perhaps I can understand better.

The Super Simple Electrical System sounds and looks great. I suppose, if a feller wanted to, he/she could dedicate one of the outlets to the battery bank (Smart Charger), that would be providing power for the 12VDC lights, fans, outlets, etc. Which could work out great. I won't have to install a Breaker Box with 20A and 15A Circuit Breakers.

I guess my question is based on a part of the thread where the discussion turns to melting your power cable or needing an adapter for those high speed 30AMP Outlets.

If this is an issue, why use a 12/2 GA Plug/Inlet? Don't they make these cable in a more compatible guage?

Are the outlets at most campgrounds "TYPICALLY" 30AMPs requiring a special trailer inlet and 10 Gauge power cord to connect with?

Do the campgrounds not provide regular household outlets, like most of us have in the garage?

I've copied and modified a electrical wiring diagram, that I am still trying to filly understand. However, if I do not need the Electrical panel, then I can change things now rather than later.
Attachments
TD Wiring - Pg 1.jpg
TD Wiring - Pg 1.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 14643 times
TD Wiring - Pg 2.jpg
TD Wiring - Pg 2.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 14643 times
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:50 pm

I think you missed the title of this thread:
:shock: ;)

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby IslandStorm62 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:56 pm

I suppose you are correct. To keep it within the thread, will this super simple electrical system make an adequate substitution for the two 15AMP and one 20AMP Electrical Panel I was / am planning on? it is on the top of the First Diagram.
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Probably, unless you have a bunch of big electrical loads (like A/C, electrical skillets etc.). It's certainly plenty for the battery charger.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Are you guys still talking about this super simple set up??

Because all this talk about circuits and battery chargers and alternators, and whatever else, makes me wonder.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby ddcronk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Back to super simple!

I see that Marinco has two models of the item in question, the Marinco 150BBI and the Marinco 150BBI.RV. The first is listed as "marine", and the second, well, "RV". Anybody know if there's a meaningful difference between the two? I tend to like to buy marine-grade stuff, figuring that if it can stand up to pounding surf and salt water, it's good enough for me. Also, the marine one is three bucks less!

Dan
ddcronk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:36 pm

I don't know what the difference is, but I bought the marine grade.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Were you looking directly at the Marinco site? They do not list a 150BBI separately, just the 150BBI.RV. I suspect that they are one and the same and it is just dealer butchering the PN.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:40 pm

KCStudly wrote:Were you looking directly at the Marinco site? They do not list a 150BBI separately, just the 150BBI.RV. I suspect that they are one and the same and it is just dealer butchering the PN.

I think you are correct. I bought my first one for my first TD from West marine, and the one form my second TD from Amazon.com. They are identical. They serve a very simple purpose. Marine or RV, they do the same thing.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:27 am

So I want to add that Marinco outlet adapter piece to my Little Guy tear. How hard will it be for me to A) figure out where to drill the hole so as not to compromise anything or hit any wires, all I have to worry about is tail lights no other electrical. B) can I do it with my standard hand help drill at home with the correct size hole drill bit thing?
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:04 pm

PKCSPT wrote:So I want to add that Marinco outlet adapter piece to my Little Guy tear. How hard will it be for me to A) figure out where to drill the hole so as not to compromise anything or hit any wires, all I have to worry about is tail lights no other electrical. B) can I do it with my standard hand help drill at home with the correct size hole drill bit thing?

I can't help you with A, but I cut the hole for my Marinco shore power inlet with a hand-held power drill and an appropriately sized hole saw. It was a bit scary, but cut a nice round hole in my aluminum wall.

Looks like this finished. The bare aluminum in the photo is the interior of the door, open above the inlet.

Because my trailer walls (at least there) are just a piece of 0.050" aluminum, I reinforced the back with a piece of 1/4" plywood with an appropriately sized hole in it. The trailer wall doesn't flex much when plugging and unplugging.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:41 am

Well I think I can handle the drill part, I should be able to get a hold of little guy about the where
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Verna » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 am

I drilled into my cabin cabinets on my 4-wide Little Guy. That way all of the wiring was out of sight. My pictures are here in the electrical sections from last summer. I can't upload pics with my iPhone using Tapatalk, doggone it. And, yes, it was a bit unnerving to drill the 2 3/4" hole into the side. If it helps, Little Guys sides are made of the exterior fiberglass type material that is about 1/8", then 1/8" plywood, then 3/4"
birch plywood, and then the carpeting on the inside. If you have a finished birch interior, that's an additional 1/8" plywood.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets