Super Simple Electrical System

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Super Simple Electrical System

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:50 am

Thank you Verna, yes it is the birch with grey carpet sides. I guess next paycheck, I will pick one up and the circle drill bit and give it a try. It sounds easy enough to do and really don't have to worry too much about compromising any strength in the side wall.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:16 am

One way to help prevent chip out when using a hole saw is to start the pilot drill thru, then start the hole saw on the back side just to score the material, then finish the hole from the front.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby MtnDeb » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 pm

I need to replace the wiring on my HF trailer. What gauge wire should I use? I keeping their lights.

Thanks ..... :frightened: :frightened:
MtnDeb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby andreuther » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for this post, I used this technique for my build and couldn't be happier.
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:57 am

MtnDeb wrote:I need to replace the wiring on my HF trailer. What gauge wire should I use? I keeping their lights.

Thanks ..... :frightened: :frightened:

I would suggest 12 gage stranded 14 would do but I tend to go worst case. I used a couple sections of 12 gage extention cord I had laying around.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Tiki TD » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 pm

My background is designing, building, and operating cell sites. Everything in them is DC and charged by AC (and in my case solar). I’m building my TD the same way.
The GFI is dual outlet for the charger and the frig.
The cabin AC is a dual outlet inside.
The galley AC is a dual outlet outside.
The frig is AC or DC depending on where I will be camping. The AC and the DC outlet (separate) will be in the space reserved for the frig.
Some of the parts might be overkill (inverter), but I am using what I have on hand rather than purchase new.
All fuse sizes will be determined once the item is purchased.
The symbols used on the schematic are probably not code, but it was what I had to work with and is labeled to keep confusion to a minimum.

Mike
Tiki TD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RDD » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:17 pm

what a great and simple solution - thanks for sharing
RDD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Tiki TD wrote:All fuse sizes will be determined once the item is purchased.

Here's a diagram showing fuses and wire sizes (you can replace the circuit breakers with fuses on the DC side):

Thread Linky

But this pretty far off topic as this is a super simple electrical system thread. :frightened:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby backstrap bandit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:21 pm

All I did was run 110 from out door plug to receptical plug in converter run converter 12 volt lines to fuse box and split that to lights and such using fuses I also run wire from battery on tounge to fuse panel now I can use 110 outlets on shore power and 12 volt at same time but if I disconnect from shore power then I have 12 volt only but while running shore power I'm also charging battery
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:12 pm

[quote="Tiki TD"..........................
All fuse sizes will be determined once the item is purchased......................

Image[/quote]

I had not looked at this topic before. I wonder how Tiki TD has made out with this?

There seems to be an issue with the schematic he posted.

The inverter DC side connection is incorrect. The inverter DC side connections is always made to the battery, preferably with a fuse in the positive line as close to the battery as safely possible. The DC side of the inverter should not have any connections directly to the solar controller. Never. I hope nobody has taken this schematic as the way to wire that portion of their system.

Some solar charge controllers do indeed have terminals labeled for "load". That is not meant for large amperage loads such as an inverter. They are simply meant for use with low amperage devices like lights.

The comment about fuse sizes deserves comment too, as fuses are designed to protect the wiring, not the connected devices. Fuses are sized by the rated allowable amperage for the wire gauge. A possible exception to that would be the fuse for an inverter. Since we often over size the DC wires from battery to inverter to allow for minimal voltage drop that fuse can be sized to the maximum current draw of the inverter, as long as that amperage is smaller than what the wire is rated for.

I hope that explanation is clear; make sense.

Bruce's diagram has it right; at the top he rates the fuses by wire gauge.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tiki TD » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:22 pm

You are correct regarding the inverter connection. glad you caught that. it is always a good idea to have a second set of eyes on this.
Depending on the solar controller, I will possibly not use the load side of the controller and connect the load to the battery through a circuit breaker and switch (disconnect).
Fuse size does go along with wiring size, which goes along with the unit you are connecting it to. Both wires and fuse will be sized for the unit it will be connected to.

Thanks for looking it over.
Mike
Tiki TD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mrwall1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:51 pm

I think I made a simple Electrical System...
I Ran the shore power plug into the Tongue Box, and ran it straight to an outlet inside the Tongue Box, then I Bought a GFI plug and plugged it into the Outlet.. Then I bought a 15amp 4 plug Box and plugged that into the outlet.. then on the other side I put a 750 watt inverter. and when I am off grid I can hook it up to the Battery, and plug the 15amp 4 plug box into the inverter....

my Old Teardrop build journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59792
My New 7x16 Continental V Nose Build
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67734
My Photobucket Link to 7x16 V nose build
http://s20.photobucket.com/user/mrwall/ ... %20Trailer
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:44 am

Wow, I started this thread six years ago, and it is still a sticky.

I have not read all 72 posts -- I'm somewhat lazy. :roll:

I'll try to go back and read them, but I'm not sure I can really add anything.

Hopefully, forum members have found ways to improve on my design, while keeping the "super simple" mission intact.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Bob Hammond » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Well, having read through the posts, i've come up with this setup. i don't need much in the way of power or receptacles - maybe 10-15A and duplex receptacles in the back and in the cabin. So I bought a black power port from West Marine ($14), and i was planning to use the windup reel in the picture. But then in my garage I ran across this Harbor Freight retracting reel that I never hung up. It might be a good and jazzy setup, if I'm satisfied that the strain relief on the replacement plug is sturdy enough. i can put the retractor inside the bulkhead of the kitchen.
Attachments
electric reel.jpg
port, windup reel, and auto retractor with SJT cord
electric reel.jpg (281.52 KiB) Viewed 13659 times
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby SSTear » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:17 pm

AC DC Install with 12 v cut off switch , converter, charger, and Deep Cycle 12v Batt.
SSTear
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets