Battery Cycles and Depth of Discharge Graphs

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Battery Cycles and Depth of Discharge Graphs

Postby lkinney » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks to all for your input into this thread. As a newbie, this discussion has helped us make some decisions regarding our Teardrop setup (TC Teardrop scheduled for delivery in July.)

Having had an electric scooter for the last nine years, I have some SLA and Litium-ion battery knowledge. Your comments and information sharing have helped me understand what I experienced
through day in and day out charging and discharge.

I really appreciate a civilized discussion with different viewpoints expressed. Thank you for keeping it factual and newbie friendly. :applause:
lkinney
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:25 am

This is what I think we need to take away from this discussion:

afreegreek wrote:The most practical number to use is 50% DOD on a regular basis. This does NOT mean you cannot go to 80% once in a while. It's just that when designing a system when you have some idea of the loads, you should figure on an average DOD of around 50% for the best storage vs cost factor.

While an occasional dip down to 80% DOD may be acceptable there are some important things to remember about discharging to 80%:

- You'll want a meter to track your amp-hr usage as discharges below 80% will damage the battery.
- The deeper you discharge it, the more important it is to recharge it promptly to avoid permanent loss of capacity.

Discharging to 80% is taking a battery right to the ragged edge of its performance capability. I don't like to stress any of my systems that way as I don't want a failure when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I also don't like to replace batteries more often than I have to as they don't ever seem to get any cheaper. Yes, you can take a battery down to 80% DOD routinely but you do do so at a greater risk of battery failure IMHO.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby afreegreek » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:06 pm

OK..
Last edited by afreegreek on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby PaulC » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:36 am

Just to make a point here, no one person is ever totally right when it comes to anything electrical. Regardless of what your experience/ qualification is, there are too many variables for one person to be totally correct all the time. Please, all of you, be a little more considerate of other people's opinions.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby gdpipkorn » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Thank you Paul.
If one's life is entertaining, there is no need to go and buy entertainment.
gdpipkorn
Gold Donating Member

Postby afreegreek » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:21 am

Last edited by afreegreek on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby PaulC » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Okay, I'm over your attitude afreegeek, or whoever you are, anymore of this and you will be taking a permanent holiday. End of story.
Paul
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby afreegreek » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:30 pm

PaulC wrote:Okay, I'm over your attitude afreegeek, or whoever you are, anymore of this and you will be taking a permanent holiday. End of story.
Paul

Yes, I see how copy, paste and post information (and the link so people can view the whole thing) from a battery supplier is bad "attitude" ... FACTS and DATA are rude and totally disrespectful of people's commonly held beliefs and should be permanently banned from this site..... :beer:
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby PaulC » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:51 am

afreegreek wrote:
PaulC wrote:Okay, I'm over your attitude afreegeek, or whoever you are, anymore of this and you will be taking a permanent holiday. End of story.
Paul

Yes, I see how copy, paste and post information (and the link so people can view the whole thing) from a battery supplier is bad "attitude" ... FACTS and DATA are rude and totally disrespectful of people's commonly held beliefs and should be permanently banned from this site..... :beer:

That's it, attitude and ignorance combined here.
Paul
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets