Is there a standard wiring pin-out for a 7 pin connector?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Is there a standard wiring pin-out for a 7 pin connector?

Postby Woodstramp » Sun May 29, 2011 11:20 pm

The only truck/trailer connector I've ever fiddled with was the littel 4-pin deals. Those are good for just running stop/turn signal sets.

My new TTT will have a 7 pin connector set. I want the extra pins because I intend to have a controller for the electric brakes and an optional truck-to-trailer charging circuit for the TTT's marine battery. Do you guys know if there is a standardized electrical pin out diagram for these 7 pin connectors? Thanks.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Mon May 30, 2011 12:01 am

...here ya go...more info than you can shake a stick at(or anything else)....................................... 8)
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

I Have Standards

Postby Engineer Guy » Mon May 30, 2011 12:09 am

WOW! Now THERE'S some complete info. A nice Site. Well done.

As 7 Pin Bargmans have become the de facto standard, the pinout is often in the mold around the Connector when it's a Factory item on newer Vehicles. This is a handy way to look up close in any Parking Lot and confirm the widespread reality of how Bargmans are wired.

Standards good. Me like Standards.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon May 30, 2011 9:56 am

Yep.... Just rebuilt all the wiring on my car carrier using the molded 7 pin pigtail, connected everything in a "junction box", added break away switch and new trailer brakes....

There is absolutely no need to mickey mouse electricals on trailers and TV in these days...

The only thing that "e-trailer" site does that may be changed in its technical sketch is use trailer frame for grounding all the lights and brakes... WHILE there is NOTHING WRONG with this concept if done properly, some people profess running a specific ground wire to all the lamps and brakes because the think it works better.....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Yota Bill » Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 am

if you are wiring both sides yourself, then by all means, follow the chart and wire color code, it does simplify it ALOT

If either side is already wired, do not assume it was done according to any of the diagrams you find, test each function and verify it first. All too often, things are wired in a different manner. It is much easier to test each function first. then to wire it up and try to figure out why your brake pedal lights up all the running lights, or some other odd configuration.

Imagine the problems if your running lights were hooked to the trailer brakes...blown fuses, locked brakes, melted wires, etc.
Last edited by Yota Bill on Mon May 30, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yota Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodstramp » Mon May 30, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks a ton, there Madjack. Just what the doctor ordered. Got it bookmarked.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby dh » Tue May 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Good link MJ :thumbsup:

How bout putting a sticky on it?
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:49 pm

This might help. This is how my Little Guy Silver Shadow was wired up.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Yota Bill » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Right there is a good example to show there is really no set standard that all manufacturers follow. A normal color code would use yellow for left stop/turn, green for right stop/turn, brown for running lights, etc. Also, red is often used as battery charge, and black is an aux wire...sometimes the black is used as the battery charge wire...also, not all harnesses have a purple wire, or even a black wire, for a 7 wire conductor. I've also seen some that did not have a white wire, and used the black wire as the ground.

Always test by function only, and do not assume that any color code was followed.
Yota Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:02 am

Colors are only for people ... Electricity is color blind.... Its the positions on the connector to trailer "function" that need to follow a standard so one can move trailer from one TV to another and have compatibility....

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby proformance » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 am

Dale M. wrote:Colors are only for people ... Electricity is color blind.... Its the positions on the connector to trailer "function" that need to follow a standard so one can move trailer from one TV to another and have comparability....

Dale

Dale, you are totally correct.

There was debated in another thread a while back and I could not understand why persons insisted "There is no standard automotive convention for trailer connectors." I finally realized these persons considered wire colors to be part of the convention, or simply unaware of reality.

The automotive industry has "NO" Wire Color Convention in place for any component used in the automotive industry. But, SAE (Standards of Automotive Engineering) has established several connector/contact conventions for components that are widely used throughout the automotive industry. This includes trailer connectors, light bulbs, batteries and many more.
proformance
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:59 am

proformance wrote:
Dale M. wrote:Colors are only for people ... Electricity is color blind.... Its the positions on the connector to trailer "function" that need to follow a standard so one can move trailer from one TV to another and have comparability....

Dale

Dale, you are totally correct.

There was debated in another thread a while back and I could not understand why persons insisted "There is no standard automotive convention for trailer connectors." I finally realized these persons considered wire colors to be part of the convention, or simply unaware of reality.

The automotive industry has "NO" Wire Color Convention in place for any component used in the automotive industry. But, SAE (Standards of Automotive Engineering) has established several connector/contact conventions for components that are widely used throughout the automotive industry. This includes trailer connectors, light bulbs, batteries and many more.

Yep...

And I think the Europeans got it correct with the DIN standard ...

http://www.e38.org/understanding%20euro ... agrams.pdf

Every electrical connection TERMINAL as a number and ever number has specific function...

Makes no difference as to wire color....

Only other convention as you state is placement of terminal (position) in connector for across the spectrum comparability for certain lighting standards ... Proprietary systems may have a connection configuration that only that manufacture recolonizes...

That being said there is conventional wisdom in having a wire color match (per function) across the spectrum, but its not a reality...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:05 am

Mukilteo wrote:This might help. This is how my Little Guy Silver Shadow was wired up.

The neat thing about this is if you ignore or blackout the colors... wiring can still be correct going by position and numbers....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re:

Postby m.colley » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Yota Bill wrote:Right there is a good example to show there is really no set standard that all manufacturers follow. A normal color code would use yellow for left stop/turn, green for right stop/turn, brown for running lights, etc. Also, red is often used as battery charge, and black is an aux wire...sometimes the black is used as the battery charge wire...also, not all harnesses have a purple wire, or even a black wire, for a 7 wire conductor. I've also seen some that did not have a white wire, and used the black wire as the ground.

Always test by function only, and do not assume that any color code was followed.

This is exactly what I ran into while trouble shooting a dead short on my trailer wiring. After looking at the e-trailer 7way wiring diagram it all makes sense now.
Even though I have a enclosed cargo trailer, the trailer manufacturer has the 7way plug wired as if it was a RV.
They have green as run/park lights,yellow as reverse lights, red as left turn/stop, brown as right turn/stop, black as 12V/aux etc. I had me going crazy for a second, then I broke out my meter and realized what they did.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Re: Re:

Postby Dale M. » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:51 am

m.colley wrote:
Yota Bill wrote:Right there is a good example to show there is really no set standard that all manufacturers follow. A normal color code would use yellow for left stop/turn, green for right stop/turn, brown for running lights, etc. Also, red is often used as battery charge, and black is an aux wire...sometimes the black is used as the battery charge wire...also, not all harnesses have a purple wire, or even a black wire, for a 7 wire conductor. I've also seen some that did not have a white wire, and used the black wire as the ground.

This is exactly what I ran into while trouble shooting a dead short on my trailer wiring. After looking at the e-trailer 7way wiring diagram it all makes sense now.
Even though I have a enclosed cargo trailer, the trailer manufacturer has the 7way plug wired as if it was a RV.
They have green as run/park lights,yellow as reverse lights, red as left turn/stop, brown as right turn/stop, black as 12V/aux etc. I had me going crazy for a second, then I broke out my meter and realized what they did.

Martin

Forget the colors..... Yep, it is all by function, I generally make up the color code (sheet) as I find them on trailer when trouble shooting.. What I always love is when idiot who is doing wiring changes wire color for a function in middle of wire run... Sort of blow your mind to start out with a blue wire on one end and it comes out red on other end...

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets