AC Hacking a Figidaire 5000 BTU

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: AC Hacking a Figidaire 5000 BTU

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:29 pm

OTTCT what I did was remove the thermostat from inside the window shaker and ran wires through the outlet hose (the one with out the bilge blower) and into the trailer. You can get away with two wires controlling the thermostat only but I also wanted to be able to turn the AC on and off from inside the trailer. Remember there is a water tight enclosure for the so the AC unit can be in rain with out damage. Otherwise you have to remove the top hose to gain access to the controls.

This is the wires spliced into the AC controls. Note that these are not polarized they are make or brake and you can safely switch them (just don't mix red with black) the two red wires are for the thermostat and the two black wires are for the on off switch. Note that this also followed the color code of the wiring in the AC unit.

This shows the thermostat and on off switch

This shows the wires coming out of the AC and note in this picture was taken before I added the bilge blower which meant they were relocated to the top hose (no blower). I used Anderson Power Poles as connectors easy to install and can fit through the louvers inside the trailer.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Hey Shadow Catcher

Oh now I see the metal-thermostat probe on your bed.....
coming out of your project box on the right side like 24" long
that was sort of what I was confused about...

I did not follow that the first time around
I have the 5,000 Btu unit on my CT roof, with 3' blower ....works great ...for 7 x 16 :lol:

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/

The next one I'm thinking about has a remote control 8,000 Btu unit

Im wondwering if the plastic hose is maybe also quieter then a flex metal hose ? :thumbsup:

I just ordered one from harbor freight 4" x 10 ft $19.99..none were in the local store for PU

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-x-10-ft-transparent-dust-collector-hose-96478.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=AmazonProdAd&mr:trackingCode=011710EF-0E42-E111-BD1F-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:04 pm

The hose I used is a cloth/fabric, heaven only knows what, material that is good to 400+F I also use it with the Eberspacher heater and the outlet temp is in excess of 300F. Anything that isolates vibration is going to help with sound. I had thought of the metal hose and have seen a couple of people use it in this application but one advantage to the hose I used is that it collapses like a slinky.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Would you have a link to who sells it ?? :thinking:

Thanks
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:21 pm

I got it as a remnant at a local industrial hose supplier but I believe it is http://www.flexaust.com/industrial-hose ... haust-hose
One thing to remember is that I needed the high heat characteristics and if you do not need that there are other choices from Flexaust that may well be less expensive.
Last edited by Shadow Catcher on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:13 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Anything that isolates vibration is going to help with sound.

I have installed a couple of vent fans in our bathrooms. 300 cfm and 400 cfm. Industrial strength. I installed the first one with solid tin duct. Too noisy. Going to flex duct made a huge difference.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 am

The high temp duct is pretty spendy stuff:

Summit Racing Linky

Standard RV sewer hose would work if you don't need the high temperature stuff:

Camping World Sewer Hose

The sewer hose fittings make for an easy on and off hose.

Camping World Fittings

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:17 am

Bruce the sewer hose is only 3" maybe fine for a pet cool which uses 80 mm (3 5/32"). I had hoped that the 4" hose would be sufficient with the AC's fan set on high that I would not have the coils icing up. With our local humidity it did not take long for it to ice, but the bilge blower at about half speed took care of it nicely.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:12 pm

4" is tougher to come by but this might work:

4" Dust Collection Hose - HF

There's accessories too:

Dust Collector Accessories

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Hey guys I got my 4" plastic hose from harbor freight yesterday, only took 4 days :thumbsup:

It does have a very strong chemical smell however .... :cry: :cry: so I will need to air it out for a while

The current set up is just temp to test the roof concept & to size the 5,000 Btu unit as this is on a 7 x 16' trailer,
I assumed it would be way the hell to small...but am really surprised how well it works with the blower wide open

I do plan to make a permeant platform to keep it up there during driving & summer months
(( it will look much better when finally done )) :D
I will move the panels forward so there will be no overhang on the rear

Its connected with a 3" metal hose and a 3" blower at 120 cfm

Here is the 4" deck plate that I'm using in the roof

The inside view of my exterior metal box and foam insulation

The blower is coming right above my queen size bed, this area can be closed off with a curtain to become even smaller,
I like it like a meat locker :R :R

Here is the fan speed controller I ordered, it works great. at 50% speed it reads about 7.5 volts on the load side.

Here is my under floor fan that also makes the Magic work...except i have the 14" version
It is sold at lowes....

One more SECRET... I run the fan in the morning until CT temp is at 78 ....
before I kick the ac on high
it really helps to keep temp down sometimes even till 1-2 pm - compared to other CT's

Here is my under floor fan that also makes the Magic work...this is the 14" version
it blows 2,000 cfm - has 3 speed and best of all only uses 50 watts & is SUPPER QUIET !!

Finally is the thermostat - proof it works great , exterior temp was 88 that day .... :oops: I was hoping for 100 :worship:
In all honesty i did turn on the ac when the interior CT temp was 78
Once the shade hits the trailer then the temp drops into the 68 range

The 26 deg is the temp inside my ARB cooler :D :D

I still have another version to come & will post pics here when done, so you all can do more crazy stuff,
thanks again for all the help. P.S. THINKING to install 4 more solar panels on the drivers side for 1800 watts total,
hope the trailer won't tip over
:frightened: :frightened:

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Another question for the Shadow Catcher or anyone else

Does anybody have experience running window ac on Modified sine wave inverter "AKA" Cheap Ass $200 - $300 generator ......
which is also Modified sine wave

or would that cook the unit ? :cry: and if so how long would that take ??
If someone has experience running his ac on a cheap generator - let me know

Because for sure I know it runs on a pure sine inverter , or a $999 honda generator

Thanks Jerry
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:47 pm

I have to admit I have not yet tried it with mine, however I have run our 8,000 BTU on our 7500W emergency generator which is MSW with no noticeable difference. The only caution I would have would be make sure there is enough capacity for the load. I have a 2500W Kipor which would run for 9 hrs on a full tank.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Ok so far so good :D :D

I have my 5,000 AC running on a 1500 watt MSW ..will keep you posted as I conduct more testing

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/inverter-folder/Magnum-MM1512AE.html
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lancew » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:22 pm

if you run hoses with just the cooling air. how does one take out the humidity in the trailer ? even if you open a vent your still going to have humidity in the trailer. you will then have a cool muggy trailer, NOT very comfortable. maybe as a heating cooling guy im missing something. do tell please.
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:08 pm

Lance shadows unit splits into a return hose and a cold air hose that way its removes the humidity same as if unit is inside with them!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets