PD4045 Installation

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: PD4045 Installation

Postby springdew » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:02 pm

I realize this is an old thread, but I am mighty confused. I'm actually now writing a step-by-step manual, because that's what I need, rather than a Q and A format. But I still have some Qs that need a couple of As.

bdosborn wrote:
NEC 551

(C) Bonding Voltage Converter Enclosures. The non–current-carrying metal enclosure of the voltage converter shall be bonded to the frame of the vehicle with a minimum 8 AWG copper conductor. The voltage converter shall be provided with a separate chassis bonding conductor that shall not be used as a current-carrying conductor.

This seems to be saying that the converter box needs to be connected to the frame. But then the next sentence looks like it indicates that the converter machine also needs to connect. Is that what it actually says? Grr passive obfuscating language.

bdosborn wrote:I bonded my converter to the frame and it works perfectly. I also don't have to worry about getting electrocuted by touching the frame if a hot wire somehow energizes it. The ground ensures that there is a low impedance path back to the breaker so it opens as soon as a hot wire touches the frame. An ungrounded frame will remain energized if a hot wire touches it. This means that you are the path to ground if you touch it and, unfortunately, you are a high impedance path and the breaker may never open.

8ball_99 wrote:You always bond the ground from AC to the the frame.. That way if you have a hotwire make contact with the frame the current has a path to ground.. If you don't do this and a hotwire contacts the frame when you step in our out of the trailer you could become the path to ground.

So do I bond negative from the converter to the frame or from AC ground to the frame? Or is it sixes as long as the current can get all the way back to AC ground?
For everything there is in this world, there is someone who likes it.
Planning and build journal for Yiayia's Waggon: At Home on the Road

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:54 pm

springdew wrote:I realize this is an old thread, but I am mighty confused. I'm actually now writing a step-by-step manual, because that's what I need, rather than a Q and A format. But I still have some Qs that need a couple of As.

bdosborn wrote:
NEC 551

(C) Bonding Voltage Converter Enclosures. The non–current-carrying metal enclosure of the voltage converter shall be bonded to the frame of the vehicle with a minimum 8 AWG copper conductor. The voltage converter shall be provided with a separate chassis bonding conductor that shall not be used as a current-carrying conductor.

This seems to be saying that the converter box needs to be connected to the frame. But then the next sentence looks like it indicates that the converter machine also needs to connect. Is that what it actually says? Grr passive obfuscating language.

bdosborn wrote:I bonded my converter to the frame and it works perfectly. I also don't have to worry about getting electrocuted by touching the frame if a hot wire somehow energizes it. The ground ensures that there is a low impedance path back to the breaker so it opens as soon as a hot wire touches the frame. An ungrounded frame will remain energized if a hot wire touches it. This means that you are the path to ground if you touch it and, unfortunately, you are a high impedance path and the breaker may never open.

8ball_99 wrote:You always bond the ground from AC to the the frame.. That way if you have a hotwire make contact with the frame the current has a path to ground.. If you don't do this and a hotwire contacts the frame when you step in our out of the trailer you could become the path to ground.

So do I bond negative from the converter to the frame or from AC ground to the frame? Or is it sixes as long as the current can get all the way back to AC ground?

Connect the ground buss (green wires) of the PD4045 to the frame. The green wire (ground) from you shore power inlet should connect directly to that ground buss.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby springdew » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks lots. That's delightfully clear!
For everything there is in this world, there is someone who likes it.
Planning and build journal for Yiayia's Waggon: At Home on the Road

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jrst67 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:43 am

I just installed my PD4045. The AC side works fine, however no DC power. I have the ground buss grounded to the frame and currently am not running with a battery. I should still have dc for the two interior lights. Ive checked for power at the fuse panel and got nothing. Any ideas? Thanks
Jrst67
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Sat May 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Can you post a photo of the panel wiring?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon May 30, 2016 1:02 am

Jrst67 wrote:I just installed my PD4045. The AC side works fine, however no DC power. I have the ground buss grounded to the frame and currently am not running with a battery. I should still have dc for the two interior lights. Ive checked for power at the fuse panel and got nothing. Any ideas? Thanks

The PD4045 will not put out DC without a battery connected. Don't know why but I discovered it when I was bench testing my 4045 before installation.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets