Best price for PD4045?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Best price for PD4045?

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 am

Well, the WFCO has failed again :(

Time to quit screwing around and replace it. With a Progressive Dynamics PD45045. The question is, where's the best/cheapest place to get one?

Is the guy on eBay trustworthy?

Thanks,

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Re: Best price for PD4045?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:35 am

Are you looking to replace just the power unit or the housing etc. The prices I am seeing on ebay are higher than for Best Converter.
One of the listings appears to be only the housing because the wires are not hanging out the back?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:31 am

$175 seems to be the going rate for a new 4045 online. Note that the best Ebay price ($174) from ltdrvparts is a new unit and includes shipping. Best Converter price ($175) does not include shipping. That is about what I paid for mine about a year ago. I bought mine from Vintek (Vintage Technologies), but I don't see it on their web site any more. You might give Frank Bear a call and see if he will quote you a price. They have super service and ship really quick. As to the Ebay vendors, I have been buying on Ebay for many years and have never had a problem. They seem to go out of their way to make you happy in order to get good feedback. The PD is definitely the way to go. Good luck.
Larry S.
les45
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:48 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Are you looking to replace just the power unit or the housing etc. The prices I am seeing on ebay are higher than for Best Converter.
One of the listings appears to be only the housing because the wires are not hanging out the back?

I don't think the PD converters have pigtail leads hanging out the back like the WFCO does. But at any rate, I have to replace the whole shebang, and possibly my expensive AGM battery also. I can't tell if the battery will hold a charge because the charge circuit in the converter seems dead :(

I'll check out the places mentioned.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:42 pm

Yes the PD does have the leads, it screws up my mind because they are black and white (RV default). If you can it would be interesting to see what the amps going into your battery are when you get the converter replaced. I talked with one of the Concord/Lifeline battery engineers about using the PD, concerned about the periodic 14. whatever voltage that the PD uses to desulfate/equalize and he said they love it because it assures full charge. Depending on which AGM you have they are a bit more tolerant of deeper discharge that a conventional lead acid deep cycle.

From battery FAQ "AGM batteries have several advantages over both gelled and flooded, at about the same cost as gelled:

Since all the electrolyte (acid) is contained in the glass mats, they cannot spill, even if broken. This also means that since they are non-hazardous, the shipping costs are lower. In addition, since there is no liquid to freeze and expand, they are practically immune from freezing damage.

Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost.

The charging voltages are the same as for any standard battery - no need for any special adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or charge controls. And, since the internal resistance is extremely low, there is almost no heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge currents. The Concorde (and most AGM) batteries have no charge or discharge current limits.

AGM's have a very low self-discharge - from 1% to 3% per month is usual. This means that they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging than standard batteries. The Concorde batteries can be almost fully recharged (95% or better) even after 30 days of being totally discharged.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:50 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I don't think the PD converters have pigtail leads hanging out the back like the WFCO does. But at any rate, I have to replace the whole shebang, and possibly my expensive AGM battery also. I can't tell if the battery will hold a charge because the charge circuit in the converter seems dead :(

I'll check out the places mentioned.

<Chas>

It sounds like my WFCO went out the same way as yours did, Charles. Those AGM batteries are worth the extra money, though. That battery came right back to life with no problems and no apparent damage. I hope yours does, as well.

When my WFCO went out after a year and a half, I replaced it with another WFCO because I was in a hurry to get to a gathering. After I replaced the old one, I discovered that the old one had been bad before I ever used it; but, the warranty was up before I found out. Too bad that I didn't know how it was supposed to work when I put the first one in. The new WFCO (now about a year old) works much better. If this one goes out, I am going to look into a PD, too. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Sharon, be sure and monitor that your WFCO is doing what it should! My understanding is that they do not all fail in the same way. Also reported is the ones that don't fail outright do not put out rated current.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Sharon, be sure and monitor that your WFCO is doing what it should! My understanding is that they do not all fail in the same way. Also reported is the ones that don't fail outright do not put out rated current.

It seems to be doing okay. I'm checking to see if the battery is putting out what it should and that it is fully charged. That's about all I can do, I guess. After the battery was installed, the old WFCO would only convert electricity to work the lights by routing through the battery(battery disconnect key in place) and I thought that was the way it was supposed to work. The new one will convert electricity to work the lights without going through the battery (battery disconnect key not in place). Both WFCOs were wired into the trailer the same way; so, that's why I think the first one was wrong from the start.

The smart thing for people to do is to research the PD converter before their WFCO goes out; but, maybe :worship: the WFCO will never die.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 am

Bruce
Last edited by bdosborn on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:23 am

I ordered a new PD 4045 from ltdrvparts, and it has been shipped already. My next challenge is fitting it into my existing electrical panel door.

Good bye WFCO :thumbdown:

Hello Progressive Dynamics :thumbsup:

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 pm

I got my PD 9145 on ebay last year.....love it!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:12 pm

The PD4045 arrived today, only 6 days after I ordered it. Considering the shipping was free, I expected it to be longer.

It works fine, and is charging my battery on the bench now.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Charles, which WFCO did you have previously and will the new PD fit in the space where the WFCO was or will you need some modifications?
I'd love to see some before and after pictures. Thanks!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Sharon, the WFCO that failed twice is the 8725. Apparently it's the one that is most problematic.

The new PD4045 is just a bit wider, and an inch or two taller than the WFCO and would fit the existing cutout with just a little work, but since everything had to come off the electrical panel door to enlarge the WFCO cutout, I decided to make a new panel door anyway.

The Lowes cheap Chinese birch ply that I used for the initial installation is of such low quality that the veneer layer peels off if you even look at the plywood. I had several pieces of the veneer layer come loose from the plywood just while painting it! So I was never pleased with the outcome of the original build.

Here's before - the orange stripes are places where the veneer ply peeled off during cutting the openings. This is before paint.

I'll post up some "after" pictures once I get the new door cut and the components mounted.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks, Charles.
Mounting everything in a cabinet door was a clever thing to do. It makes access for installations and modifications much easier. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets