Ultimate low power small computer

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Ultimate low power small computer

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:04 pm

The specs are quad core 2gb DDR3 so it might, depends on the OS and the program.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:01 pm

mikeschn wrote:But will it run my CAD software?

JK!

Mike...

The raspberry pi will run GIMP (Linux version of photoshop), although it is a little slow. I tried sketchup but I'm having difficulty getting sketchup to work with Debian (wine installer issue.) If your CAD software is Linux compatible it would be worth a try.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby bonnie » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:36 am

The Barnes and Noble HD Tablet (7" in my house) has an adapter for streaming to an HDMI capable TV. Works pretty stinking well. No remote, though. So that's one option. My other option at the moment is a Maricom G-box Midnight MX2. With either a bluetooth or wired mouse/keyboard. Still learing about it, though it is set up to work much like a tablet would right out of the box. With a Memory Card slot, I can plug in the 32 GB card and have movies anywhere. We shall see. ....
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 pm

I've looked at the mini computers and they're cool but they still need a keyboard and a screen to be used so I stick to this laptop. has a screen, keyboard, and dvd drive for movies and doesn't take up that much space plus it will run your cad software to Mike. The techie side of me wants a mini but the practical side wins out and I stay with the lap top.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby kludge » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 pm

grantstew8 wrote:Yup i'd go with the tablet. We're planning on using the iPad with a sound system (small) so it improves the sound but does not disturb neighbours. Perhaps two pairs of comfy headphones may be a suitable alternative....

How about this? Uses 120VAC but can easily be adapted to runs on 12V (the AC adapter puts out12V), it charges your iPad, plays the music/audio with Bluetooth, and is battery powdered so you can take it out on the picnic table/galley.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Postby Bogo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:56 am

My Raspberry Pi runs around 3 to 3.5 Watts depending on how hard I've loaded its CPU down. Adding peripherals will add some power draw. If you wish to power one from 12 VDC, there are a number of 1 to 2 Amp USB cigarette lighter supplies. You can't buy a 12VDC to 5VDC switching power supply for less. With the right adapters it could drive a car TV display and pipe sound into a car audio amp.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby Rallybug » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:39 pm

mikeschn wrote:But will it run my CAD software?

JK!

Mike...

I doubt it, as it says that it is based on ARM processors, so cell phone chip.
Ben
Rallybug
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets