Ultimate low power small computer

Anything electric, AC or DC

Ultimate low power small computer

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:15 am

This just struck me is the ultimate small, simple, low power, low cost computer http://cubox-i.com which is a 2" cube using about 2 1/2 watts It will run Ubuntu, Jellybean (Android) and a couple of other open source OS. Price starting at $50 to $120. It uses a 5V USB power source you may already have.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Ultimate low power small computer

Postby Madmike8 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:18 am

I use a Raspberry Pi. It also uses 5v USB power, but a bit power hungry at 1amp. It has composite or HDMI output. I use it as my media box using OpenElec(XBMC). I can just swap the SD card and reboot into Linux. It sells for ~$45 with shipping. It's a surprising little credit card sized computer.
It's not about the Destination, It's all about the Ride!
Madmike8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Madmike8 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:38 am

After looking at the CuBox specs, That's pretty nice... I may have to get a few to play with.
Madmike8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RandyG » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am

I have been doing some research on small pcs to put in my camper. There are quite a few options, amazon search ~ mini pc. They all have mixed reviews and flaws. I was just looking for something that can save some movies and play netflix if wifi is available. I think the best solution is to just use my wifes tablet, with 32gb + another 32gb sd, wifi and hdmi, it would just be easier. Those mini pcs havent caught on to be very powerful or dependable.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Yup i'd go with the tablet. We're planning on using the iPad with a sound system (small) so it improves the sound but does not disturb neighbours. Perhaps two pairs of comfy headphones may be a suitable alternative....
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby Corwin C » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Currently playing with a Raspberry Pi. Awesome little piece of technology. It's video output has to be seen to be believed. I'm planning on using the GPIO output to control RGB LED lighting inside and out as well as an entertainment center. It's also easy and inexpensive to get the hardware to make it run on 12v power.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:55 am

Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:15 am

What attracted my attention about this is that is that I am working with a client of one of my social work classmates, there were specific reasons and I have maintained the 'friendship' over the years. He is on SSI (mental health issues) with very limited means. His cheep laptop quit and fixing it is not wise financially. He has peripherals and this struck me as a relatively bullet proof he would have difficulty screwing it up system.
The most expensive of the CuBox is quad core 64gig DDR3 far more than his laptop but the least expensive would do what he needs and would be less than fixing his laptop.
I like this as a potential back up for our computers and something that could hook up to the TV in the teardrop and using one of our external hard drives do most anything we can at home. Generally speaking I don't know that using it with the tear would ever happen as we don't spend much time in it and the TV is 90+% not used.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 am

RandyG wrote:I have been doing some research on small pcs to put in my camper. There are quite a few options, amazon search ~ mini pc. They all have mixed reviews and flaws. I was just looking for something that can save some movies and play netflix if wifi is available. I think the best solution is to just use my wifes tablet, with 32gb + another 32gb sd, wifi and hdmi, it would just be easier. Those mini pcs havent caught on to be very powerful or dependable.

Still most practical unit is lap top (or maybe tablet(?)) because you can wifi, watch movies, play music, do e-mails, browse internet, power it off 12v power converter, add large screen or external speakers, view maps of places of interest, repository for any pictures and document trip and have advantage of reasonable size keyboard....

Tables are fun but too small for all around use especially if two want to view a movie...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby RandyG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 am

I plan on hooking the tablet to the tv with an hdmi. Or we may just get a media player... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008NO9RRM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1380212773&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:42 pm

It seems to me that the tiny computers, such as Raspberry Pi and Cubox are great for folks who love "playing" with computers. I used to be one of those guys, but now I just want to "use" my computers, so if I want a computer while I'm on the road, I use either my smart phone for email, FB, etc. or I take one of my two laptops.

Neither is as small or power-frugal as the Cubox, but neither requires knowledge of Linux packages, kernels, etc.

My $0.02 worth.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:43 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:It seems to me that the tiny computers, such as Raspberry Pi and Cubox are great for folks who love "playing" with computers.

This is very true. The raspberry pi (the one I'm personally familiar with) is made to encourage experimentation, playing with inputs and outputs, rudimentary displays, controlling simple robotics, and so on. Yet it has the power to do most anything that you can do with a desktop/laptop albeit sometimes in a limited fashion. The price point is such that it is not out of reach for a teenager who may want to pursue a career in programming, electronics, networking, etc. At $35 for the Pi, the cost of a 1080p/i display (the most expensive part and one I would have to purchase anyway), and rounding up the rest of the components in the pile of shtuff that I have lying around, I will be able to "build in" a web capable entertainment system with intelligent control (perhaps even voice control) of my tear lighting. It's definitely not for everyone, but for us "putterers" out here it will be fun to see what I can make it do.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Madmike8 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am

Let's see... I got the Raspberry Pi, case, heatsinks, 4gb SD card, 16GB USB Flash, Micro USB cable, USB Wireless adapter all for around $75 to my door. I use my Ipod wall wart to power it. Flashed the SD card and Flash Drive with the image in less than 5 minutes. Booted it up and joined my wireless. Downloaded app on my ipad/ipod/android to act as a remote. Done! It's been running 24/7 since. Only rebooted when the power drops\blips at my house...

I understand about rather to use a tablet/laptop instead though... Nothing will be as easy as a tablet, but setting up xbmc is not that hard... I bought my 80 year old dad a Sony WebTV appliance to watch westerns on Netflix. Now he watches all of them on YouTube instead...

I'd like to try one of the Cubox-i's as a head-end to my media network in my house.
Madmike8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mgb4tim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:03 am

I thought I was up to speed on tech stuff- but this is a new topic to me, an I think I've found my son's (13 years old) Christmas gift. He wants a TV and a new computer - I told him he better think a little at which he'd like better. I think I might be able to satisfy both without breaking the bank!!
mgb4tim
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:05 pm

But will it run my CAD software?

JK!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets