Wiring 'journal' ### now with fire! Pg3

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Wiring 'journal' and ***fresh question***

Postby RogHodge » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:00 pm

So yesterday I'm working on the trailer, ya know, like we do. Minding my own business, just gathering my thoughts. Shift sniff, "I wonder who's bar-b-q-ing?" This is not a peculiar thing at all. The sweet sweet aroma of tasty meat being cooked over flame is quite common around hear. And weather you call it bbq, or grilling, and use natural gas, charcoal , propane, or wood, the smell is oh so wonderful. And with the temperature ranging in the 70s to 80s (ya really) 8) what better thing to do on a Saturday afternoon? :beer: but this wasn't as good as other searing flesh smells, it was sort of chemical-y ?!?
No matter I had work to do.
Some time later, and needing to fetch something, now forgotten what, from the shed I locate the source of the aroma. :o Seems my extension chord/shed power supply, is heating to the point of serious meltdown. Not being one to always elevate safety over curiosity, :thinking: I decided to poke at said chord. :twisted: As I poked the bear, the now molted plastic easily gave way, which, must have introduced oxygen into the formerly two sided flame triangle and poof! In a show fitting a forth of July finally , al be it a small one, sights sounds and smells rarely encountered in a civilian environment burst forth. :shock:
So then to make a short story slightly less long ... And perhaps as a test of your deductive reasoning, I present a pictorial representation of the lingering glory that was at one time a faithful friend flowing frequent fuel (that's the best I count come up with for an f-word for electricity) oh yea, the test... How is it possible that I took a picture knowing that inches away is a shed full of voilital chemicals and dry combustable materials. Surely you just whipped out your phone and :pictures: well actually no... I was truly mesmerized by the light and sound show, so I watched that, then as the flames died down I spend several seconds dashing back and forth like a squirrel that found its way into your favorite Colombian French roast in an internal struggle about how I was going to extinguish the flames, and an attempt to remember where I put my phone. Remembering my iPad near my work area, I dashed over to grab it, dashed back, and snapped what you see below, too bad I didn't have it in time for video.
After the picture, I simply dipped a plastic cup into the pool who's pump was the one drawing the high current, and doused the flame. Only then did the gfi on the receptacle trip :NC
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.67 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Re: Wiring 'journal' ### now with fire! Pg3

Postby RogHodge » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:55 pm

So...
Now that the fire is out, and I have replaced then ends of the cords, I did some work.
These pics should give a basic idea about how I created and covered the wire runs.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.88 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (54.43 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:58 pm

And one more from the reading light all the way to the yet to arrive fuse block
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.31 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:05 am

The pathway through the wall is hacked pretty bad. There will be a panel covering the wires and the poor woodwork.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.26 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Welcome back..
When we left our hero he was calculating how many brain cells may have been lost due to breathing noxious fumes from burning plastic, all while trying to take pictures for you, my adorning fans. :?
Fortunately for me,... Us?, I have had a light week at work. I will allow you the latitude to insert an electrical pun at this point. After all why should I be the only witty one here? And with the light week and continued good weather, I got cracking on the wiring.
On to the pictures!
Here we have a jiffy circuit tester. I realize normal people would use a battery, but since I have yet to procure said battery I used what I have. I actually tested each circuit before closing everything up. As the pouch line goes, "I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!" Well sort of, there are two places where a switch will be placed mid stream an I feel fairly confident that when I cut the wire and install a switch the circuit will magically function. And I think I could fish a wire through the runs if I had to, I not NOT want to need to find out.

As a side note, my dear friend tells me my posts are 'snarky', can you believe that? :NC maybe that's why no one replies? :thinking:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (74.5 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.16 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Get rid of those incadescent lamps STAT and get some LED replacements. Your battery will thank you.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:33 pm

I like the wiring diagram you have there (light bulb drawn with marker on the side). :thumbsup:
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets