Lights for 120 volt AC

Anything electric, AC or DC

Lights for 120 volt AC

Postby James06 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:00 pm

I am planning to only wire the trailer for AC, since all the rallies and other places I go have electricity. I have looked a couple of places for small, flush mount lights for the interior, as well as an exterior porch light with no luck. Also, would fluorescent or incandescent work better as far as vibration from the road cause an issue. I am working on a cargo trailer conversion, if it ever gets here. I ordered it last week, but I don't have a lot of patience.
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Lights for 120 volt AC

Postby jseyfert3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:08 pm

They aren't flush mount, but any home improvement store should have those tiny "hockey puck" or similar lighting, normally used below kitchen counters. Perhaps that could be an option?
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 pm

I built a ledge around the ceiling and placed a led type rope light in it and lit the interior very well with it. Bonus is no heat and very low power consumption.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby eggsalad » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 pm

I know it might seem counter-intuitive, but you may be best off to use 12VDC fixtures and a 120VAC -> 12VDC converter. You'll have a much wider selection of camper-appropriate fixtures if you do. If you go to all LED fixtures, a converter as small as 5A might be plenty, 10A to play it safe.

The other advantage is that if you ever change your mind about where to camp, or sell your camper, you just add a 12V battery and it's ready to go.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:35 am

The larger christmas light strands will offer you a couple dozen little lamps. They are mostly 4 or 7 watts .

They can be cut and hot glued into tiny lanterns, and other cute little ideas. I have beer lamps, and little red lanterns, and carriage lanterns and on and on. The only limitation is your imagination.

Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby James06 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:51 am

eggsalad wrote:I know it might seem counter-intuitive, but you may be best off to use 12VDC fixtures and a 120VAC -> 12VDC converter. You'll have a much wider selection of camper-appropriate fixtures if you do. If you go to all LED fixtures, a converter as small as 5A might be plenty, 10A to play it safe.

The other advantage is that if you ever change your mind about where to camp, or sell your camper, you just add a 12V battery and it's ready to go.

So, could it be as simple as taking something like the item below, cutting off the cigarette lighter end, adding wire to two interior camper lights and one exterior camper porch light? What would be the risks involved by doing it that way? I plan on daisy chaining the outlets, starting with a GFCI.

http://www.amazon.com/110VAC-Converter- ... +converter
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eggsalad » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:29 pm

James06 wrote:
eggsalad wrote:I know it might seem counter-intuitive, but you may be best off to use 12VDC fixtures and a 120VAC -> 12VDC converter. You'll have a much wider selection of camper-appropriate fixtures if you do. If you go to all LED fixtures, a converter as small as 5A might be plenty, 10A to play it safe.

So, could it be as simple as taking something like the item below, cutting off the cigarette lighter end, adding wire to two interior camper lights and one exterior camper porch light? What would be the risks involved by doing it that way? I plan on daisy chaining the outlets, starting with a GFCI.

http://www.amazon.com/110VAC-Converter- ... +converter

That's perfect! No real risks involved, excepting that I would probably add a 7.5A fuse to the output side, just because it's easier to replace that fuse in case of overload, rather than the converter.

Also, depending on your load, it might get a tad warm, so I wouldn't bury it in a cupboard or suchlike with no airflow.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby James06 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks, that looks pretty easy and will be a whole lot cheaper than the $129 camper converter. I have most of the stuff for free for just 110.
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets