Progressive Dynamics PD4045 install

Anything electric, AC or DC

Progressive Dynamics PD4045 install

Postby reeac » Thu May 22, 2014 12:35 pm

I have installed the unit and the A/C was pretty straight forward. The D/C on the other hand :? I have installed a bus bar for the ground 12 vdc and connected all of them to it. Do I connect the bus bar to the frame or the battery? I also will install a battery disconnect switch between the battery and converter on the positive cable. What are the two top red cables on the converter DC side for? I will also be putting a 7 pin connector on the trailer side to charge the battery from the alternator. Any help with drawings or pictures and any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I've contacted the vendor but no response to my e-mails and I would like someone with hands on experience that has done this to help out.
Thanks
reeac
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Progressive Dynamics PD4045 install

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 22, 2014 2:22 pm

I just finished going through this on my build. The PD4045 comes with twelve POSITIVE DC branch circuit leads already installed (10 black rated for 20A, and 2 red rated for 30A). If purchased new it does not have any negative wires coming from it.

To connect your PD4045 to your battery you'll bring a heavy gauge red wire (I used 8GA) from your battery (or switch) to the PD4045 "BATT +" terminal. Then you'll bring a heavy gauge black wire (once again I used 8GA) from your ground bus bar to the PD4045 "BATT -" terminal. All of your 12V accessories & lights then get their negative wires tied to the ground bar.

I had a "charging while towing" connection on my last trailer, although it was through a separate connection. The hot wire from your 7-pin connector gets tied to the camper battery with 8GA wire (minimum) and an in-line fuse. There are fancy ways to have it automatically disconnect when your tow vehicle shuts off, but that's a whole other can of worms. Search "charging while towing" on here and you should find the info.

Here's my particular PD4045 setup...
Attachments
X-III_PD4045.jpg
X-III_PD4045.jpg (236.16 KiB) Viewed 10272 times
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Thu May 22, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby reeac » Thu May 22, 2014 3:44 pm

So battery black (neg) to bus bar then to converter and battery red (pos) to cut off switch and then to converter correct?
reeac
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Yup, you got it.

*edit* Just uploaded my full PD4045 wiring plan in my previous post.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby reeac » Thu May 22, 2014 5:06 pm

:beer: Thanks for your help. Finally I can move on.
reeac
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Epbowen » Thu May 29, 2014 11:41 pm

I posted a question in a new topic, but can you look at your 4045 and see if the wires from the charger are white to the lug labeled whie/hot or is the black wire going there? I'm afraid this unit I have maybe wired wrong...

Thanks for the help !
Epbowen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby reeac » Fri May 30, 2014 8:18 am

I will take a picture later today and post it.
reeac
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Epbowen » Fri May 30, 2014 9:25 am

This is what I have. I removed the black wire and did a resistance check, and the lugs are labeled correctly, looks like PD has a new assembler.
Attachments
image.jpg
This is NOT wired correctly!! I the black wire should be on top.
image.jpg (25.59 KiB) Viewed 10179 times
Last edited by Epbowen on Fri May 30, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epbowen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri May 30, 2014 9:32 am

Yup, thats not right :o
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Epbowen » Fri May 30, 2014 11:31 am

I had called PD last night as soon as I saw this. They called this morning and said swap the wires, which I had already done. I just got another call, they are sending a new unit out to replace this one. So I'm waiting till next week to finish the wiring...but I bet I won't have to worry about any wiring or potential fire issues.... :)
Epbowen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Esteban » Fri May 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Epbowen wrote:This is what I have. I removed the black wire and did a resistance check, and the lugs are labeled correctly, looks like PD has a new assembler.

:thinking: Is the wiring in your photo the correct way it should be done? Or is it the wrong way before you corrected (reversed?) the black and white wires? I think your photo shows the PD4045 wired the wrong way...before you fixed it. It might be helpful to edit your post next to the photo to add that "this is the wrong way the lugs should be wired".

I recently bought a PD4045 from "Frank Bear." My PD4045 has (it came with) the black wire attached to the top lug. The white wire is attached to the lower lug. That is the opposite of what is shown in your photo :? which confuses me.

I will use a Battery Kill Safety Shut Off Disconnect Switch to turn off the battery power to the PD4045. I think that changes how the wiring is supposed to be hooked up inside the PD4045. :thinking: I am unsure how to do it correctly.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby reeac » Fri May 30, 2014 3:58 pm

This forum will not allow me to post any picture above 256KB and I cannot make my pictures that small. I will tell you that the drawing above by absolutsnbrdr is the correct layout for the unit. If you want to add a disconnect switch you will have to remove the jumper and have a positive wire from the battery connect to one side of your disconnect switch and run a second wire from the same post of the disconnect switch. I wanted to have the battery charging when connected to shore power so i had to connect the second wire to the pos lug next to the neg lug and the opposite side of the disconnect switch wire went to the Alt pos lug but you have to remove the jumper for this to work. If you would like pics sent let me know by PM and I’ll get them to you.
reeac
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Esteban » Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm

:thinking: What is the purpose of the 15 amp converter breaker in Zach's PD4045 illustration?
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat May 31, 2014 2:17 pm

Esteban wrote::thinking: What is the purpose of the 15 amp converter breaker in Zach's PD4045 illustration?

The converter breaker protects the wiring to the PD4045 AC-DC converter/charger. You have to have it to make the converter work. The PD4045 requires a minimum of two 120 VAC circuit breakers, a Main, and a Converter, all others for branch circuits are optional.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sat May 31, 2014 5:16 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:
Esteban wrote::thinking: What is the purpose of the 15 amp converter breaker in Zach's PD4045 illustration?

The converter breaker protects the wiring to the PD4045 AC-DC converter/charger. You have to have it to make the converter work. The PD4045 requires a minimum of two 120 VAC circuit breakers, a Main, and a Converter, all others for branch circuits are optional.

<Chas>
:beer:

I seems the above is one way to protect the DC circuits of the PD4045.

It is not the way I plan to set mine up. I have installed a 30 amp main circuit breaker like Zach shows. In addition I have installed three 15 amp circuit breakers. #1 circuit for the cabin AC outlet(s). #2 circuit for AC outlet(s) in the galley area. #3 circuit for an outlet just to power an AC/DC fridge/freezer to be kept on a slide out drawer in the galley.

I'll use an external disconnect switch on the positive power cable from the battery to the PD4045 so DC power from the battery can be switched on or off. In addition I will have a fuse on the positive power cord near the battery or use a circuit breaker on the battery hot cord (have not yet decided which I will use). I link to parts I'll use below (from another PD4045 thread).

Esteban wrote in another PD4045 discussion thread:
I am using an external Battery Kill Safety Shut Off Disconnect Switch between the battery and the PD4045. It will allow me to (externally from thePD4045) turn off DC power to the PD4045. I could have used a less expensive 6V-24V 125 Amp Battery Disconnect Switch (or something similar) attached to the battery positive terminal instead.

I also plan to also use a fuse and a Fuse Holder close to the battery positive to protect the wiring.

Depending on how I set up my 160 watt solar panel and its mppt charge controller I may use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse and fuse holder on the battery positive cable. I have a 30 Amp Manual Reset (Switchable) Hi-Amp Circuit Breaker in mind if I do that.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets