solar charger controller and battery question

Anything electric, AC or DC

solar charger controller and battery question

Postby XFireman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:39 pm

I have used a solar system for camping for several years. I intended on using the system for my upcoming TD build when someone stole my controller, battery, and customized aluminum case. The Sunsaver PWM seems to be a favorite on this forum so I'm looking that direction. My solar panel is 80 watt (6.6 amps). Do I need to buy the SS-10 (10 amp) or will the SS-6 (6 amp) do the trick? Also, being that my intended use is LED lighting, small DC fans, and an occasional computer and cell phone charge, is there any need in a low-voltage disconnect? (Shouldn't this only apply when inverting to AC, or is there another reason I don't know about?) Then, I'm trying to settle the battery type and brand. Is AGM the way to go, especially considering the lack of fluids and the charging rate? Then, what's a good brand for the buck? I like things to last a long time--as long as it's worth it. I don't mind $200 or so, but $300 and more for a battery is pricey for my taste.
XFireman
Teardrop Inspector

Re: solar charger controller and battery question

Postby GerryS » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:41 am

I see about 6 holy war questions here. I would recommend the 10 amp controller....I'd much rather that than saying "I wish I would" later, even though your only 10% over! probably in the margin of error knowing panels are usually over rated in real world conditions.

I'd build in the disconnect. Another situation where you'll probably never need it....but I'd you so, it will probably be in a situation where you need it "now!" And won't regret the few bucks...but if you don't have it, it could be catastrophic....there's a LOT of energy in those batteries.

I've got a flooded battery in mine. I easily boondock for 4 days without trying to conserve power, or supplement with solar. That's running incandescent lights, LCD Tv and DVD...my experience with AGM has been unsatisfactory, but I'm also told my experiences are far from the norm. AGM seems too expensive unless you have the need for odd battery placement which is one thing you can't do with flooded types.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:14 am

I will second Gerry get the ten amp Morningstar. I went with the MPPT because I have high voltage panels (big advantage in shady camp sites). I also went with a 150AH Lifeline AGM because of its location and I really did not want to have to diddle with it and did need the capacity.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 am

6.6 amps on a 6 amp controller is really pushing it. The Sunsaver will take an overload for a short time but you might let the smoke out if you ran 6.6 amps for any amount of time. Get the 10 amp.

LV disconnect is personnel preference, I don't have one on mine and have never missed it. I'd probably forget to turn it on if I had one. :FNP Any situation you would need it in a hurry should be covered by proper fusing.

Do some reading on the forum regarding AGM batteries. Some people really like them but they are spendy.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby XFireman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks guys! Sounds like the 10A controller is the right choice for me. I'm unlikely to install a low-V disconnect. Still not sure of the battery, but am likely going with an AGM and just get happy about forking out the bucks to do so. Overall, it seems like a 100 to 150 A/h AGM will serve me well over extended periods and then further improve that benefit with the higher recharge rate over other types.

Thanks again!
XFireman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 pm

XFireman wrote:I have used a solar system for camping for several years. I don't mind $200 or so, but $300 and more for a battery is pricey for my taste.

your AGM only does about 300 cycles :thinking:
I you want the best :thumbsup:
You can get a nice Lithium 100 AH system with BMS for $900 to $1200 , about 3,000 recharge cycles, good for 10 years. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets