Two questions...

Anything electric, AC or DC

Two questions...

Postby inthewoods » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 pm

I'm wondering two things about the 12v electrical systems

I've been planning to have my trailer 12v system isolated from the TVs 12v and the trailers running lights however I've heard about a few people who have setup the systems in such a way as to be able to turn on the side marker lights of the trailer from a switch and run them from the trailer's battery when the TV isn't even connected. What's the secret to this magic?

Also do I need to tie the trailer's battery / 12V system into the trailer frame? I see the trailer lighting is connected that way and I've seen a few 12v wiring diagrams on the forum showing that people have tied the trailer's battery system into the frame. Can anyone provide clarity on this?

Thanks,

Matt
inthewoods
Teardrop Master

Re: Two questions...

Postby Hogdaddy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:36 am

What your wanting to do would be pretty easy actually. Just splice into the trailer wiring harness, white to ground on trailer battery, brown wire to switch,other side of switch to positive on trailer battery. that will do it ! you could even wire in a flasher on another switch & make them flash. If you leave your tow vehicle pluged in will turn those on also. As far as grounding the trailer thats not a good idea as it will only cause trouble down the road . I always run a dedicated ground to all my lights. Hope this helps & thanks for the idea, I'll do this to mine in the morning. Your trailer is looking real good I should add, Nice job!
Hogdaddy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:56 am

Hogdaddy wrote:What your wanting to do would be pretty easy actually. Just splice into the trailer wiring harness, white to ground on trailer battery, brown wire to switch,other side of switch to positive on trailer battery. that will do it ! you could even wire in a flasher on another switch & make them flash. If you leave your tow vehicle pluged in will turn those on also. As far as grounding the trailer thats not a good idea as it will only cause trouble down the road . I always run a dedicated ground to all my lights. Hope this helps & thanks for the idea, I'll do this to mine in the morning. Your trailer is looking real good I should add, Nice job!

This is the best lighting tip you will ever get.

90% of all lighting troubles are ground related.

I even apply a dedicated ground wire from tow vehicle to trailer so as not to have to rely on the tow ball for the only ground.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Why would you want to isolate your trailer 12V from the TV? It sure is nice to be able to charge your battery while you drive. A battery charge line also lets you turn your running lights on like this:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm planning on putting a vehicle side trailer connection on the trailer with manual switches so I can #1 run the marker/backup/brake lights without the tow vehicle and #2 just to hold the trailer plug off the ground when it's not hooked up. When parking, simply unplug from TV and plug into Teardrop. Added advantage ... no possibility of accidentally back-feeding power to the TV.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Corwin C wrote:Added advantage ... no possibility of accidentally back-feeding power to the TV.

Good point. I have a battery charge line and a battery separator on my trailer so I never have to unplug it from the TV. You need to unplug the trailer from the TV if you don't have a separator so you don't accidentally run the TV battery down when parked.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby inthewoods » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:13 pm

This is all really great advice... Thank-you!!! Right now the trailer frame is acting as ground for all the running lights but I think I will add a dedicated ground wire at least up to the hitch.

Corwin - that's a great idea on adding a trailer side connector. I think I might do that. I also like the thought of storing the connector plugged in. I don't want to mess around with a battery isolator or things like that.

Right now I've just got a basic 4 pin trailer connection and wiring. No brakes on this trailer. May do that in the future but is not in the cards for right now.
inthewoods
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:35 am

Hogdaddy wrote:What your wanting to do would be pretty easy actually. Just splice into the trailer wiring harness, white to ground on trailer battery, brown wire to switch,other side of switch to positive on trailer battery. that will do it ! you could even wire in a flasher on another switch & make them flash. If you leave your tow vehicle pluged in will turn those on also. As far as grounding the trailer thats not a good idea as it will only cause trouble down the road . I always run a dedicated ground to all my lights. Hope this helps & thanks for the idea, I'll do this to mine in the morning. Your trailer is looking real good I should add, Nice job!

Careful here.... NOT all trailer use four wire color codes..... White/Brown/Yellow/Green.... Be sure of your colors and function relationships before you start splicing into anything.....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:35 pm

I do not have to unplug as the solar will charge the TV battery ;)
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:06 pm

One thing to worry about, if you are charging your battery from your tow vehicle, you can run down the tow vehicle battery IF you leave it attached to the trailer, and the engine isn't running.

Something called a battery isolator a to protect you from this, if you chose not to use one, be sure to unplug the trailer if you will be parked for any length of time.

Bobhenry is dead on...grounding problems make up almost all of the problems when dealing with trailer lighting....

Be sure to use dielectric grease too...I put it on the bulb contacts and on the trailer plugs...everywhere electricity and moisture mix...corrosion makes up a big part of the other problems besides grounding issues.

-me
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:23 pm

GerryS wrote:Something called a battery isolator a to protect you from this, if you chose not to use one, be sure to unplug the trailer if you will be parked for any length of time.

Battery isolators are usually diode based and have a forward bias voltage drop across them of about a volt. This voltage drop pretty much ensures your battery won't charge if there's any length of wire back to the trailer. Battery separators are usually relay based and don't have the volt drop of a isolator. It's a persnickity difference but an important one if the TV battery is in the trailer and not right at the engine alternator. 90% of TV battery charging issues seem to be due to voltage drop and a diode based isolators just makes it worse.

Bruce
Last edited by bdosborn on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I do not have to unplug as the solar will charge the TV battery ;)

I must be more paranoid than you. I have two batteries in the truck with solar on the trailer and I would still unplug at night before I put the separator in. I just don't want to risk hearing that sickening click when you turn the ignition key and your battery is dead. :cry:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Bruce,

I have a separate battery on my truck that runs a 2000 watt inverter.
I have a dual battery isolator/separarator (?) that allows the alternator to charge the secondary battery when the starting battery is full.
One of the cool features is a bypass switch that allows the secondary battery to start the truck when the starting battery dies.
On my Chevy...that is several times a year, whenever I let it sit for 3 days or more.
Second truck I've had that does that...
Anyway, when I hear that "dead battery" click, I just flip the switch and start it up.
Much better than battery cables! :applause:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:52 pm

The type that use a relay like this...
... are what we'll call a separator. Guaranteed to work with no charging loss as long as wire gauge is up to snuff. Simple to do an emergency start switch with. The isolators with a box that has cooling fins are the voltage lossy ones.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002 ... UTF8&psc=1
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:11 pm

48Rob wrote:Bruce,
I have a dual battery isolator/separarator (?) that allows the alternator to charge the secondary battery when the starting battery is full.

I can do a manual combine with my separator but I can only charge the battery, not start it. The wires to the truck battery are too small for starting current. But, I can start the generator and use the PD battery charger to pump around 30 amps back to the truck batteries. Or just use the solar panels if I'm not in a hurry.

I've had great luck with a Yandina separator. Super easy to install and it has Off/Auto/Combine mode.

http://yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm
Going on 3 years and it's still works.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets