Another PD4045 question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Another PD4045 question

Postby vonpod3 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:45 am

Hi, I recently installed a PD4045 in my work-in-progress tiny travel trailer. Rather than a 30 amp fuse at the battery, I installed a 30 amp dc breaker. We just spent 5 days operating off the battery (110 amp-hr) and when we finally had access to shore power and plugged in, the PD4045 wanted to deliver over 40 amps to the battery, which as expected, trips the 30 amp breaker that I installed. In all the readings I did leading up to my installation, everyone talked about fusing the battery at 30 amps. I now realize that the PD4045 is rated up to 45 amps output, so now what? Should I fuse/breaker the battery at 45 amps? That would mean I would need to upgrade the wire size, I used #10 wire for the installation. At the same time, however, the PD4045 comes with 30 amp main fuses already installed but they will hold a bit longer than a breaker before popping. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I know that as the battery begins to charge, this 40+ amp output should drop pretty quickly, so I hooked up my truck and switched over to charging from the truck for about 15 minutes (I wired the truck feed directly to the battery figuring the current from the truck is already limited and protected by the truck charging system). When I then switched back to shore power, the output from the PD4045 then dropped to about 25 amps and all is well. Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Will
vonpod3
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Another PD4045 question

Postby Epbowen » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:50 pm

That's a great question, I too fused my battery supply at 30 amps. I wonder if that is a surge current and a slow blow might handle it for the few seconds it is on. The duty cycle on the AC side is pretty short at that current, otherwise you'd trip the supply power breaker.
Epbowen
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets