OK solar guys HELP ?

Anything electric, AC or DC

OK solar guys HELP ?

Postby kirkman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:51 am

I have a 85 watt panel and controller on my camper, I also have a 100 watt portable panel with its own controller. The Question I have is can I hook the 100 watt panel directly to the battery so I can move it around in to the sun when camped in the shade with out hurting any thing.
Thanks!
Jason
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: OK solar guys HELP ?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Yes, you should be able to with no problem.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks! Shadow Catcher
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:26 pm

How big is your controller (amp rating)? You might be able to connect both panels to your controller.That's what I do, that way I don't have to worry about disconnecting a panel from the battery so I don't overcharge it.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

OK solar guys HELP ?

Postby kirkman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:42 pm

Bruce ... I don't know it came with my new to me fiberglass egg. Is there some thing I can look for on it?
This is what I have.
Last edited by kirkman on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:35 pm

See if you can trace the wire from the panel into the trailer - it should go to a controller. There's usually some sort of rating on face of the controller.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:24 pm

It says 25 amps. it is mounted in my tongue box with the propane tanks.
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:28 pm

kirkman wrote:It says 25 amps. it is mounted in my tongue box with the propane tanks.

Although I doubt that your wiring will spark and your propane will leak at the same time and blow you to bits, I kinda think it's "poor form" to have non essential electrical doohickeys in a tongue box with propane tanks in it. The only electrical device I've ever seen in a propane locker aboard a boat is a solenoid valve to shut off the propane.

You might consider rearranging things a bit.

You could install a switch with the center pole wired to your controller, one pole wired to your permanent panel, and the other pole wired to a jack or connector where you connect your portable panel. Then you could plug in your portable panel to your controller and charge your batteries with your Morningstar. I you don't exceed your controller's capacity you can probably eliminate the switch and have both panels connected at the same time. Even if your main panel is shaded to some extent, you might be able to get some usable current out of it.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

OK solar guys HELP ?

Postby kirkman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Gus... I did not think that was the best place to put it either but that is where the PO put it. The tongue box is vented very well. So I'm not really to worried about getting blown to bits.
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:10 pm

That's a nice controller and will easily accommodate both your panels in parallel. It will also charge your start battery too. You can also add a meter to keep track of how many amp-hrs your panels harvest if you want.

Sunsaver Duo

Just land the positive leads from both panels on the positive terminals of the controller.Same for the negative wires. You can add a connector to the portable panel to make it easy to connect and disconnect. I like Anderson power poles but you can get SAE Connectors at the auto parts store.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks. Bruce, Gus , and Shadow Catcher.
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets