Separate independent systems?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Separate independent systems?

Postby b.inboats » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:19 pm

I've been lurking for months and just started building my 5 X 8, styled like a Signatour. By the time I'm done, mine will undoubtedly cost much more! I'm having fun already though.
I'd like to wire my trailer's running lights just as if it were a utility trailer, powered from the tow vehicle like normal. The camper's 12V DC system will be powered by a type 24 deep cycle battery in a type 27 box on the tongue. Inside the box, I plan to keep a 3 stage charger for between trips. I've already purchased my interior lights, all LEDs. My Fantastic Fan should be the biggest draw on the system. Q: do I need a fuse for the lights and/or fan? Can I just wire each directly?
My 120V AC "system" will consist of a surge suppressed power strip run through the trailer's wall through a weather resistant cover. The only thing I foresee plugging in is the 5000 btu AC unit for those hot summer days if I'm near an outlet.
I don't want to convert, invert, charge from a tow vehicle, or learn too much about electrical theory. Has anyone else kept it this simple or separate? Can it be done this way? I just want a place to crash when I get off the river when I go on kayak trips. Thanks!
b.inboats
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Separate independent systems?

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:04 am

If you don't install a fuse for the circuits then when there is a short circuit the wire that is shorted acts like a fuse; gets hot and if you are lucky melts through and disconnects the power before the fire starts. If you are not lucky....
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby b.inboats » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:47 am

What would such a fuse panel or block look like, or where can it be found easily? I've got the fan, 4 or 5 assorted lights, and a USB charger that would need protection.
b.inboats
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:35 am

It could be as simple as an inline fuse holder, or slightly better as a brand x or middle of the road like a Bluesea, or as complete/complex as a PD4045

Those are examples and not necessarily prime recommendations . But a fuse should be used, one way or another. Keep in mind that a lead acid storage battery can deliver sufficient power to weld metal. We don't want that to happen when not planned.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:37 am

I simply sat my battery in the galley. From the hot lead I ran to a circuit cut off switch (advance auto parts) then down stream I installed an inexpensive 4 fuse fuse holder. I ran 4 circuits and wired for front wall, galley wall, right side wall, and left side wall. I installed a grounding block to the negative side and returned all ground from all items in the four circuits back to the grounding block. The connecting wiring was daisy chained from fixture to fixture for each circuit.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Dale M. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:23 am

Simplest and easiest fuse panel because it also has ground panel built in......

http://www.delcity.net/store/ATC-&-ATO- ... ad/p_11262

These would be the "cool" fuses to use, because they light up a led (glow) when they go POOF! (blow)...

http://www.delcity.net/store/ATO-Smart- ... s/p_800317

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby b.inboats » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks, everyone. These are great links. I'll definitely be installing both a shut off switch and a fuse panel.
b.inboats
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets