Portable battery box?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Portable battery box?

Postby Bigdogpc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:58 pm

I was just wondering if anybody uses a rolling tool box to wheel their battery in/out of their trailer? I can see some advantages to not mounting a battery and being able to move it around as needed, similar to a Ham "go box" but on a different scale since it would be designed to plug the fan, radio, and lights into while inside then any charging could be done outside. I am assuming this should work OK and might be a simple solution for 12 volt power? Just wondering... :?
Bigdogpc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Portable battery box?

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:07 pm

As long as you can secure the box during travel I guess it would be ok.

But why?

Once the batteries are in the camper you shouldnt have to touch them for at least a few years. Well, flooded will need checked on and maybe watered every now and then, but thats it.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: Portable battery box?

Postby Kharn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Ugh, Group 24/27 batteries are so heavy I'd never want to deal with such a system.
A better solution would be to secure the battery and use a 115v power inlet and a duplex outlet so you can get power inside the tear without having to leave a door open, and then attaching the battery charger when needed. If you only intend to use a low-amperage charger, like a battery tender, you could use a 12v ~10amp inlet instead of the 115v, but a fast charger would need a heavy duty inlet if you wanted to keep the charger outside the tear.
Kharn
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets