The Power of Lightning

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: The Power of Lightning

Postby MtnDon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Just for the record, I am about done with the repairs and improvements. FWIW, in recap, here is what I have done.

Grounding improvements are in two separate sections; lightning rods or air terminals and grounding (earthing) the electrical system.

Air terminals. Four on the 16 x 30 cabin, 3 on the ridge and 1 on the S/S wood stove chimney. 26 strand 7/16" dia. wire used to connect all the air terminals. These extend down to the ground at diagonally opposite corners. Each wire first connects to an 8 ft. copper clad 5/8" dia. steel rod that is driven into a hole dug to make the bottom end of the 8 ft. rod 9 ft. below grade and set out from the cabin wall about 2 feet. The same wire is buried in a trench to run to a second rod about 10 feet distant on each side of the cabin. From that rod the wire extends another 10 feet or so to a 2 sq. ft. copper sheet buried about 2 - 2 1/2 feet down. All wires are covered with earth. The terrain was reshaped slightly in places to permit the collection of rain water and snow melt to soak into the soil and make a better ground electrical connection.

The shed (8 x 8) has a TV antenna mast that reaches a height of 24 feet above roof level. This mast is down wire connected to a ground rod. A wire connects this ground rod to one of the ground rods at the cabin, a distance of something like 15 - 16 feet.

The barn (larger shed, 9 x 16) has two air terminal on the high side of the shed style roof. These are connected with the same 7/16" wire as used on the cabin. Here too the down wires drop at diagonally opposite corners. There are 2 ground rods at each corner, placed about 10 feet apart. One of these ground rods is connected to the ground rod at the TV mast. So all ground rods are inter-connected for best performance. Resistance between 1st and 3rd adjacent ground rods ranges from 2 to 6 ohms. That may change over the span of the seasons. The ground is mosit right now. We'll have to resample later in the year and next spring and early summer. Several access points have been made to facilitate the re-measuring.

Electrical system grounding. This includes the ground rod system and the new surge suppressors or lightning arrestors.

I have Midnite Solar SPD's. One at the PV array combiner box. Another is 310 feet up the hill at a newly installed "power post" that is 10 feet from the cabin corner where the new Midnite Solar "The Kid" charge controller is located. A third MN SPD is located right at the CC input . A fourth is located at the DC wires that feed the inverter; this is a low voltage version as it is connected to the 24 VDC battery bank. Finally a fifth MN SPD is mounted at the AC service panel. At the PV array is also a Delta DC suppressor as well as a Delta AC version suppressor at the service panel. Nothing like redundancy. :) And expense. :( A cool thing about the MN SPD is they have an LED that indicates that it is operational.

Grounding. At the PV array I added four rods in a manner similar to the lightning air terminal system. That is rods connected to one another in a string with about 10 feet between rods. They extend to the pond area with the last rods directly parallel to the bermed low side of the pond. Probably the most moist area we have. At the cabin all the hardware from CC to inverter, battery charger and service panel are individually connected to a ground buss. One end of the ground buss is connected by #2 copper wire to a ground rod at the new power post. From there a series of 5 ground rods extend into the grey waste water dispersal field. On the surface a series of bowls, centered around the rod positions, serve to catch, retain and permit soaking in of any precipiation.

Presently we are using a backup Samlex 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter for the cabin AC power needs. It does mean having to think when using the microwave or electric kettle. It will do until we decide if we really need the power capacity and convenience of something like the 3500 watt Outback that was toasted.

Lastly there does appear to be some hidden wiring damage in one of the lines to or between the gazebo, shed and/or barn. On occasion the GFCI that feeds that low use line trips. Sometimes it will not reset, sometimes it will reset several days later. The GFCI itself is good. It will be a tedious task to track down. Hopefully I'll track down the fault earlier rather than later. That's the Labor Day weekend project.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:26 am

I forgot to elaborate on a feature new to the PV system. Why did I install what I call the power post 10 feet from the cabin? It is to make it easy to physically disconnect the DC lines from the PV array to the charge controller. The suggestion came from my friend Dave, a solar expert. Lightning can easily jump the small gap in a circuit breaker that is turned off. Now if the threat of lightning is imminent we can shut of the PV power feed with ease, disconnect the wires and pull them aside creating a large physical gap. During lightning season when we are absent we can leave the system disconnected. Just an additional preventative step. Most of the year, like fall through spring there is little lightning action likely so I feel safer leaving the system up and running then. Our absences in lightning season are short enough and no power is used from the batteries at all at those times that I feel there is little danger from battery self discharge.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:14 pm

Sounds like you were very thorough. Lets see some pics!

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Photos after Labor Day. I took some but left the camera in the cabin. :(

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Better late than never???

I am finally getting around to the pictures promised above. These are only after the fact photos as I failed to cease work and take in progress pictures.

The east gable end showing an air terminal and part of the down wire run.

18 inch air terminal, closer up

East end again. The air terminal is barely visible. The drop wire falls straight down into a hole with the ground rod driven down one foot below the surface. The down wire continues south in a trench to another ground rod approx. 15 feet from the cabin. Then it continues south for another 12 or so feet to a buried 2 ft sq copper ground plate. That is next to a wet area where the grey water terminates.

In the foreground is the new "power pole". The wires from the PV arrive underground and come up to a disconnect in the box. There is a Midnite Solar SPD (surge protection device, aka lightning arrestor) connected to the incoming wire there. On the other side of the post is a outlet for the DC line to the charge controller. It is a locking plug/socket. When in lightning season we can disconnect when we leave or if we are present we can disconnect when lightning threatens.

Close up of the plug end and the warning labels.

New SPD on the service panel

Ground down wire on the west end. As with the other end this connects to a ground rod driven one foot below surface. The wire then continues, unbroken, to another rod and a ground plate down the side of the cabin.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets