Watt's Up meter wiring & switching?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Watt's Up meter wiring & switching?

Postby noseoil » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm looking into a solar system for the build and a question arose about charging/discharging & the battery stuff. The Watt's Up meter looks like a nice idea, but it functions in a relatively simple & "static" mode. In other words, it can only be hooked up one way at a time. For example, to watch charging from a solar panel during the day, it plugs in one way, but then it would need to be re-wired to watch the load & power consumption once the batteries are charged by nightfall and the lights are turned on when the drain starts. That is, if I'm understanding what I'm reading about it correctly (always questionable in my case) and the way it sees energy use & stores the data points.

Here's the question. I'd like to use it to do multiple function tests on the battery, charging, & discharging rates without having to plug & unplug it all the time. Isn't there a way to run a switching setup (rotary dial switch perhaps?) and the panel display to just click over to different modes as needed? I've tried looking this up but am drawing a blank on a Google search & on the forum. Apologies if there's already a thread about this one and I haven't used the correct search, just point the way. I'm not real swift on electrical stuff, hence the question. :thinking:

Thanks for looking, tim
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Watt's Up meter wiring & switching?

Postby MtnDon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Use two, one to read charging current and watts and the other to read the power used.

Or go fancy and use a http://www.bogartengineering.com/.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:40 pm

If your load is less than 25 amps, this one might do it for you:

eBay Linky

I've never used it so caveat emptor.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Just to comment on that meter... looks like it could be good..... But.... caveat emptor for certain.

I resisted buying any of these direct from China electronic devices for a long time. I finally took a chance about 8 months ago and bought a high frequency PWM speed control. It too three times to get one that arrived with all pieces properly soldered and with heat sink properly attached. That took almost 3 months what with the slow boat from China mail. I ended up with 3 units that now all work and all for the price of one. I've bought three other instruments / devices. One of those three required a reshipment. In the end the replacement worked after I resoldered a mosfet. The original was DOA and still is. The other two devices worked fine and still function. Not a really good track record, though. But I am tempted by that meter.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:53 am

Simple solution to having single meter and monitoring multiple reading is "selector switch"....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:58 pm

Dale M. wrote:Simple solution to having single meter and monitoring multiple reading is "selector switch"....

Yup, that's what the OP was asking for. Got a circuit diagram?

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Which Switch?

Postby noseoil » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:49 pm

I knew there must be a switch available, but wasn't sure what it is or what it's called. There's all that DPST, SPDT, etc. stuff out there, so I'm wondering which switch it is that I need. Ideally, it should be a three position switch. I'm thinking it should have an off position, a charging position and a drain position to monitor functions when I want to see what's happening. Really pretty basic stuff, but how many wires are feeding into this thing?

Where I get confused is about the inlets & outlets. There are three wire & four wire circuits on the monitoring, so what is it that will work? Also, the working load is a question as well. How many amps will this device really see with a 100 watt solar panel & running no major drains. Probably a stereo & lights would cover most energy drains, but there should be a reserve as well.....
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:42 am

From their manual....

6.2.3 (Energy) Watt-hours Wh
The value displayed is the total energy delivered to the LOAD in Watt-hours since power
was applied to the Watt's Up. It is measured on the LOAD side. For accurate results, be
careful not to interrupt the SOURCE connection
to the Watt's Up during an energy
measurement. Doc Wattson reports in KWh which is 1000 Wh.
6.2.4 (Charge) Amp-hours Ah
The value displayed is the total charge in Amp-hours delivered to the LOAD since power
was applied to the Watt's Up. It is measured on the LOAD side. For accurate results, be
careful not to interrupt the SOURCE connection
to the Watt's Up during a charge
measurement.

It look as if you interrupt the connections by switching away you lose all of the history it has recorded.

Perhaps multiple meters might be in order if the history is of important to you.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:08 pm

bobhenry wrote:It look as if you interrupt the connections by switching away you lose all of the history it has recorded.

Perhaps multiple meters might be in order if the history is of important to you.

Not if you use the external battery source. Connection diagrams 7.4 ...

Manual

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets