TucsonWJ 5x8 CT wiring plan?

Anything electric, AC or DC

TucsonWJ 5x8 CT wiring plan?

Postby TucsonWJ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new at the trailer wiring but have been looking through many pages and think I have come up with a wiring plan. The only thing that is not on here is I have decided to add a selectable disconnect switch so I can run both circuits the inverter and the 12v or switch off the inverter circuit and just run the 12v side. Like I said I have never wired anything like this before so any and all comments are welcome.

TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Re: TucsonWJ 5x8 CT wiring plan?

Postby Dale M. » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 am

For basics it looks like you have correct concepts on how it works for what you are tying to do.... Now you need to flesh it out with some actual details and values of breakers and such... Would like to see some sort of disconnect (cut over switch) between shore power and inverter power so you do not get back feed to receptacles though.... May also want to consider single unit that is inverter/converter that will charge battery and convert the DC to AC for receptacles...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TucsonWJ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:47 am

Dale M. wrote:For basics it looks like you have correct concepts on how it works for what you are tying to do.... Now you need to flesh it out with some actual details and values of breakers and such... Would like to see some sort of disconnect (cut over switch) between shore power and inverter power so you do not get back feed to receptacles though.... May also want to consider single unit that is inverter/converter that will charge battery and convert the DC to AC for receptacles...

Dale

My goal was to use this as my breaker/fuse block for the 12v items. I have to check the output for the vent.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems- ... 2F9EVV47S1

This is the disconnect I plan to use. I want to be able to switch the 12v fuse block and the inventor on and off independently or have them both on or both off.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Switch-B ... disconnect

All of the lights are going to be LED so there won't be much draw from those. The biggest draw will probably be the fantastic vent fan and the optional Tv/DVD player so I think that block should work. As far as the 110v receptacles go, they will be on a male cord end (like an extension cord) so that I can just plug it in to either the inverter when out and about, or plug it into the GFI protected power strip when on shore power. There will only be 3 receptacles, and I don't expect to have much to plug into them but I would still like to have them around just in case.

I wasn't aware that they made an inverter/converter that had that function, that would be ideal in my situation. Do you have any more info on that?

Thanks for the input!!
TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby TucsonWJ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:29 am

Is this what you are talking about? It looks like a good compact solution to multiple things as far as 12v fuse block, 110v power supply, battery charger and inverter. I'm just not sure if the output for the battery charger is to high, doesn't say if it is for a 12v system. I assume it is. What voltage can a AGM battery handle

http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/UI/Power ... e=3&pid=11

Do these have connections points for shore power? I assume they do just don't see anything in the literature explaining it. I'm sure that you just wire it up to a shore power receptacle, but just curious.
TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:03 pm

TucsonWJ wrote:Is this what you are talking about? It looks like a good compact solution to multiple things as far as 12v fuse block, 110v power supply, battery charger and inverter. I'm just not sure if the output for the battery charger is to high, doesn't say if it is for a 12v system. I assume it is. What voltage can a AGM battery handle

http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/UI/Power ... e=3&pid=11

Do these have connections points for shore power? I assume they do just don't see anything in the literature explaining it. I'm sure that you just wire it up to a shore power receptacle, but just curious.

If you want an "all-in-one" converter power center, you should look at the Progressive Dynamics 4045. A little higher capacity, and more DC circuits than the WFCO, but american made and much more reliable than the WFCO. Google or search here for WFCO problems and you'll find lots of complaints about the WFCO. My WFCO 8735 failed twice, once while under warranty, and once after the warranty expired.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby TucsonWJ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks Chas, I took a look at the PD4045 and I like everything about it. Smaller, more power and better reviews. Thanks for the heads up. The PD4045 is going to be my new plan. I thought I had made a simple wiring diagram, this is even better!! Thanks again for all the input.

Just another simple question, would I still want to run a battery monitor? I already picked one of these up, the PD doesn't look like it has any external or internal for that matter way to monitor battery life. Do you see any negatives with installing this in conjunction?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Indicator ... lt+monitor
TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:54 pm

The PD has no provision for a battery monitor, but there is no issue installing one either. Connect the monitor directly to the battery so it's always powered, because the PD's DC disconnect disconnects the battery from everything but the PD's monitor circuitry.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby TucsonWJ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Great thanks, just spent some time reading through the thread about the wiring issue people were having and I think I finally understand it after reading throughout it a few times. This is a perfect solution for my situation.
Do you recommend still putting in a battery disconnect? I know it would have to be in the on or run position to charge and have normal usage but would disconnecting it at other times like traveling and long storage periods save battery life?
TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:24 pm

I measured the idle current of my PD4045 when I first installed it. It uses 15mA at idle. Not enough to worry about. Your battery monitor will probably draw more than that.

Yes I recommend a battery disconnect to ensure that all your loads (fan, lights, DC outlets, USB chargers, etc) are truly off. And for safety sake. You should also have a fuse as close to the positive terminal of your battery as possible, for safety sake.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby TucsonWJ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Is there an inline fuse you would recommend?
TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:52 am

TucsonWJ wrote:Is there an inline fuse you would recommend?

I just got an inline fuse holder at the local auto supply store and put a 30 A fuse in it.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby TucsonWJ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Great! Thanks for all your help!
TucsonWJ
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets