Smart charger time-is the truecharge2 20a more than I need?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Smart charger time-is the truecharge2 20a more than I need?

Postby steffychad » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:49 am

Hey all, looking for some advice for our first build.
We have a 96 ah deep cycle marine battery, and a 1000w sine wave converter (power bright as 1000-12). I've been researching smart chargers and I'm a bit confused about what exactly I'm looking for. All I need is something to manage shore power while safely charging the battery, ideally within 2-4 hours.
It seems that the market is not aimed toward the clueless consumer, and I want to be sure I'm not going overboard. I don't believe our converter is capable of managing a smart charge. The only thing I've found online is the xantrex truecharger2, but I can't help but think it is a little more than I need. We are only running a tiny fridge and a few lights.

My apologies if this had been covered in another thread, some searching around has not found what I'm looking for.
steffychad
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Smart charger time-is the truecharge2 20a more than I ne

Postby MtnDon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Iota makes many superb different size chargers. When equipped with their IQ4 they provide true 3 stage charging plus an equalizing cycle. They can be left plugged into the homepower AC for weeks / months on end with complete assurance the battery will be kept charged but never overcharged. . Google Iota Engineering. The Progressive Dynamics folks also have good multi stage chargers combined with fuse panels to cover any AC and Dc circuits.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets