My 12 volt system layout. Does everything check out.

Anything electric, AC or DC

My 12 volt system layout. Does everything check out.

Postby gotoplanf » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:21 pm

I have built an a frame style popup camper, just did a waterproof camping test last week. Everything looked good. I am currently working on installing my 12 volt system. I plan on using an AGM 12 volt deep cycle (10 feet from panel), 20 amp circuit breaker (6" from battery), master kill switch, parallax 12 circuit fuse board with ground bus (all circuits will be 5 amp fuses), and a variety of 12 volt powered accessories, fans, lights, stereo etc. I calculated that maximum draw on my accessories is 19amps. All led lighting really helped out here. I used #10 AWG wiring for ground and hot leads to each device with a maximum 14 foot run. I plan on using zip ties to tidy all my wiring after the fact.

I have a few questions does my diagram look correct as wired? Do I need to run a second ground to my frame from the fuse panel or just grounded from the battery? Do i need to use grommets or something in my walls where I have drilled through the wall supports? I have included an example image of this

gotoplanf
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My 12 volt system layout. Does everything check out.

Postby citylights » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:24 pm

gotoplanf wrote:I have a few questions does my diagram look correct as wired? Do I need to run a second ground to my frame from the fuse panel or just grounded from the battery? Do i need to use grommets or something in my walls where I have drilled through the wall supports? I have included an example image of this

Your wiring diagram looks good. I can't say about the wire size though.

There is an ongoing raging debate about grounding to the trailer frame. Some say yes, some say no. Both work. I did not ground to frame on mine and ran a dedicated ground from every device as your diagram shows.

Wire insulation on wood is generally considered OK without grommets. I squirted all mine with caulking just because it was easy and just in case.
citylights
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:37 pm

You will need to plan for the future because you will want more outlets, 12VDC and 120AC We have 8 120V inside the cabin and 3 12V handy for plugging in cell chargers and camera batter charger...
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:24 pm

How many amps do the devices pull? Your wire sizes seems a little overkill.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gotoplanf » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:You will need to plan for the future because you will want more outlets, 12VDC and 120AC We have 8 120V inside the cabin and 3 12V handy for plugging in cell chargers and camera batter charger...

I don't plan on having any 120(AC) in this build. Everything I require for camping is 12 volt friendly, however I have planned for the future. I have empty conduit run from the panel to locations that could possibly handle electronics. I ended up buying 2 dual usb ports today for charging; phones, tablets, camera batteries etc. ( http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Charger-Socket/dp/B0082CXEI8 ) They are active dc to dc converter outlets ( not 12 volt cigarette lighter outlets) so I will have to add a switch to prevent battery drain on their circuit.

I think the only problem will be my main breaker rating. It is 20 AMP which is on the super safe size. I believe my battery lead should be good for 50 AMP. So I may need to upgrade that (only a $5 part)

GerryS wrote:How many amps do the devices pull? Your wire sizes seems a little overkill.

I happened to have 2 @ 200' reels of 10 gauge 90 degree celsius rated from an auction a few years back, so I decided to use that. Probably could have gotten away with 14 gauge or less for most of it. The biggest draw I have is the stereo at 5 Amps (max), then fantastic vent at 4 amps (max). My USB outlets each pull 1 Amp (max), main light 1 Amp (max) and remaining lights less than 0.35 amp (max) per (total of 8). I plan on adding a water pump which is going to be in the range of about 5-8 amps (max).

Is oversize ok? Just a matter of costing too much?

Thanks for your suggestions.
gotoplanf
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:40 pm

Each circuit is fed by a 10 AWG hot wire and is protected by a 5 amp fuse? I think your wiring is way-over kill. 14 AWG would be fine. Without looking it up, 10 AWG wire can be covered by a 20 amp fuse (or is it 30?) You might be walking the edge on some of your stuff that may draw 4 amps and be running through a 5 amp fuse.

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:36 am

Nothing wrong win over sizing at all. But you are going to spend a lot more on wiring than you need to. There are a number of wire size calculators on the internet....you'll need to know how many amps your load is (the load is the device....light, fan etc and how long the wire is from the panel to it.

But your on the right path. Just be sure to use everything.

For the firebox, personally I'd use something like this for 12 volt:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... MgodsnUAoA

Hate LONG urls....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:27 pm

I happened to have 2 @ 200' reels of 10 gauge 90 degree celsius rated from an auction a few years back,

Sounds like a deal to me
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets