DC motor speed control

Anything electric, AC or DC

DC motor speed control

Postby MtnDon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 pm

This summer I needed to replace a DC motor speed control for our RCH ceiling fan due to a lightning hit. They now sell at about $100.

I found a speed control on ebay for less than $8. The catch... ships from China and will not fit inside a std wall box. I took a chance and risked a total of $7.41 including shipping. Price today may be a little more.

Obtaining a working model was a bit of a task. The first one arrived with a really cold solder joint; a MOSFET was loose on the board. They shipped a replacement @ n/c. Each shipment was slooow; about 20 days from China. The second arrived with the srew that hold a heatsink to the MOSFET cross threaded and loose. The third one was the charm and arrived in great shape. I connected it to the fan Friday night. It works fine. The speed is adjustable from just above stall to full speed. It just looks funky.

The bonus is the other two controls also work after I re-soldered the one and found a tiny screw to repair the other.

The amount of time it took was a disappointment, but their customer service was good enough for the price paid.

One of the extras is going to be wired into the cargo trailer to permit slowing down the Fantastic fan if needed. Why not, I have them?

When I get around to it I'll see how they work as a dimmer for 12 VDC LED's.

I chose this one because of the high frequency. There are lower frequency ones that are a little cheaper but there is a chance of hearing a buzz. Oh... in my application it also ran very cool as well as quiet.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: DC motor speed control

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:07 pm

I always say if it works why not. I had a relay on a circuit board go out in my cars door panel that controlled the door lock/unlock actuator solenoid. While researching the problem I found that it was a common problem that GM would not recognize or even acknowledge that it was a problem, and the problem was they used a 10 amp relay which was very marginal instead of a 15 amp. The dealer would sell me a new complete circuit board for $500........Ouch!!!!.... And it still had the factory 10 amp relays (3)

The solution was I purchased the new relays from the same Canadian vendor that supplied GM with the 10 amp, except in a 15 amp for a whooping $2.98 each, the shipping was about $12 total, had my boy's high school buddy who is now an Electrical Engineer de-solder the 10 amps and re-solder the new 15's in. Works flawless. Total cost about $18 for parts, a $50 Outback Gift Card ( he would not take any money so I mailed it to his girlfriend) and a couple beers. I'm a Happy Camper

:beer: :beer: :beer:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Re: DC motor speed control

Postby 48Rob » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:46 am

It is too bad our country doesn't teach problem solving like this, starting in kindegarten, so that by the time we are adults there are few problems beyond our ability.

Congratulations to the parents who go out of their way to teach and encourage! :thumbsup:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Electrical Secrets