Battery Box

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery Box

Postby abqlloyd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Not sure if this is electrical or not, but general question. In my old camper the battery was on the tongue in the standard plastic box. It vented from both sides.

I'm looking at moving two golf cart batteries to the V-nose of my CT. Does the battery box have to be completely sealed? The other option is to use a standard battery box designed for two 105's and add a vent kit. I was told that hydrogen gas is lighter than air and will always vent out the high point. If the battery box has two vents under the lip but the vent kit is installed on the top of the box, can it still vent inside? I have used AGM batteries for years but they are getting pricey. I picked up two new 105's for less than $200 recently.

A standard box is much cheaper than a sealed battery box.
abqlloyd
Teardrop Master

Re: Battery Box

Postby astrotrailer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:23 pm

Since it is outside you want it vented. I have my pair of T 105s in an aluminum box on the front of the trailer. Nothing in the box beside the fused cables feeding to the SunSaver MPPT charge controller in my trailer. I put in my own vents near the bottom and top of the box before I installed in on my trailer. The vents are facing the back so water isn't driven inside when it is raining while I am driving.
astrotrailer
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets