Dale! Q's about 12v electrical`

Anything electric, AC or DC

Dale! Q's about 12v electrical`

Postby sbshaver » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:06 am

Dale had a comment that hit a nerve, and that being the relative suckyness of the typical crimping tools and wire connectors most of us use. hate hate hate them. I felt vindicated when Dale exclaimed their worthlessness. So, where DOES one get a good crimper and corresponding connectors that you know, actually work? Links anyone? :D
sbshaver
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Dale! Q's about 12v electrical`

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:41 am

I have not had a problem with a crimping tool but I use the connectors that include heat shrink tube/hot melt glue and have yet to have a failure. For connections I need to take apart I use Anderson Power Poles with soldered connection. When they were building the space shuttle they came up with a splice that had solder and the heat shrink/glue that was assembled with a proprietary heat gun.
I have found the Harbor Freight heat shrink connectors work well for not much money.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:04 am

I soldered mine then crimped for insulation value only.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Dale M. » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:11 am

For crimp style connectors brand names like Carol and T&B and a few others are always preferred over cheap bulk pack assortments which are usually thin material and do not hold well.....

For crimpers... I recommend those that are ratchet type with replaceable jaws to accommodate type and size of connector (Insulated or non insulated).... They tend to put a more precise crimps that hold better (not specifically recommending one below, image is for example only)...

When doing actual crimp, If you are not going to solder it, put a bit of dielectric grease in connector it prevents air from entering into connection and causing corrosion.... Also is good in lamp sockets for 12 volt and 120 volt (ac) applications keeps lamp from corroding or sticking in socket.... Works on battery terminals too....

Solder is ok.... Just not my favorite solution (industry trained in proper crimp connections)...

Heat shrink tubing is always good....

Sources like local electrical wholesale warehouses always have better products then local hardware or auto parts stores....

Some good online sources for tools, wire, connectors, fixture are:

http://www.delcity.net/

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/

And many more...

Its all about using proper tools and technique.....

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby FIREBALL05 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:34 am

A good ratcheting crimper is a great investment if you're doing any decent amount of wiring. Here is my favorite:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog
FIREBALL05
Teardrop Builder

Postby sbshaver » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:05 pm

FIREBALL05 wrote:A good ratcheting crimper is a great investment if you're doing any decent amount of wiring. Here is my favorite:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog

I love Snapon. Probably will find something a little cheaper though.
sbshaver
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Snapon is quality, but you can find same quality for 50-60% less by just not buying that branded tool... Its probably not even manufactered by Snapon, but by any number of tool manufacturers by contract....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby sbshaver » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:14 am

Here is a potential candidate, well reviewed and cheap. It doesn't double crimp, whatever that means. It looks like one of the keys is a ratchet action? I'm assuming that means to produces a uniform and consistent pressure from one crimp to the next? Always a problem with me, never know how hard to squeeze.
http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18900-Pr ... ql_qh_dp_t
sbshaver
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Greg M » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:50 am

Bought mine from snap-on 25 years ago, and they're still crimping perfectly.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby FIREBALL05 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:31 am

The first time you're chasing down an electrical issue because one of your connections didn't work right you're going to kick yourself in the butt for not spending the extra $40-$50 on a quality tool.

Somethings are fine to go cheap on, this is not one of them in my opinion!
FIREBALL05
Teardrop Builder

Postby sbshaver » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:30 am

sbshaver wrote:Here is a potential candidate, well reviewed and cheap. It doesn't double crimp, whatever that means. It looks like one of the keys is a ratchet action? I'm assuming that means to produces a uniform and consistent pressure from one crimp to the next? Always a problem with me, never know how hard to squeeze.
http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18900-Pr ... ql_qh_dp_t

Ordered it. It's a decent unit. Not Snapon quality but better than any crimper I've ever had because it uses ratchet action and meters the pressure on the terminal.
sbshaver
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:22 am

There's a very very good chance that if you're having issues with crimped connectors, that its actually not a problem with the crimper or the connectors, but rather how you use them!

99.9999% of the people who have issues with crimped connectors are DOING IT WRONG!!

You don't need a fancy expensive crimper. You just need to do it correctly.

ALL my low-power (<15A) connections use crimped spade connectors. And I have your standard stripper/crimper pliers from Lowes. NEVER A SINGLE PROBLEM!

And I'd venture a guess that my electrical is probably a bit more extensive than most.

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:49 am

You are basically correct about the problem is the way people do the connection... Unfortunately in the video you provided, there is misinformation..... It demonstrates using a T&B or GB brand (or equivilant ) indenter crimper (about $20-$25) on a insulated connector... This is wrong... A indenter style crimper as in video is only used with NON INSULTED connectors, but video is correct about where seam of connector is placed....

The type of crimper I dislike and encourage people to stay from are these that cost from $5-$10 at local FLAPS or Big Box store...

The ratcheting style crimpers with interchangeable dies was "minimum requirement" for doing power cable and wire connections in telephone industry where spent almost 40 years doing power cable/wire connections... The reason for ratcheting crimpers is they can compress connection tighter then using hand crimp pliers for better grasp of wire and to make a "gas tight" connections... A gas tight connection is a connection where the connector is compressed on wire enough to keep oxygen out of connection helping to prevent corrosion...

Notice non-indenter dies in this pic for connectors with insulated barrels...

Notice Indenter dies for connectors with out insulation...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby sbshaver » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:08 pm

What Dale said, these crimpers are the spawn of Satan. The ones I linked above, with the ratcheting action, that cost the same basically, are the way to go. I used those stupid satan crimpers for years and they suck. I also think it's worth getting quality terminals and not the cheapy ones that crack and break and are total junk.
Attachments
Proto_J299.jpg
Proto_J299.jpg (9.28 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
sbshaver
Teardrop Advisor

Postby H.A. » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:28 am

Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets