Battery under trailer

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery under trailer

Postby Strop » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:35 pm

What are the pros and cons for mounting your battery similar to this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411436058.843249.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411436058.843249.jpg (89.66 KiB) Viewed 2235 times

Laurie
Strop
Teardrop Master

Re: Battery under trailer

Postby martymcfly » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Pro, lower center of gravity, Con, hard to get to if you want to check or hook up a battery charger. Maybe more exposed to being hit with road debris.
martymcfly
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 pm

That set up looks awfully familiar. :lol:
I put a sealed trap door in the floor during the build so access is very easy.
Never had a battery damaged because the dropped floor in the center of the teardrop protects the batteries.
No battery mess or smell if it sulfates.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Strop » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Danny it should look familiar .

I was thinking a solid back and perhaps solid floor, that way protected even if no drop down in front of it. Danny a couple of questions then. Are you doing off road ? Danny how did you do the sealed door? Also how big a battery are you using.

Thinking that you could put two in with a water tank between them .

Thanks

Laurie
Strop
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:15 am

Strop wrote:Danny it should look familiar .

I was thinking a solid back and perhaps solid floor, that way protected even if no drop down in front of it. Danny a couple of questions then. Are you doing off road ? Danny how did you do the sealed door? Also how big a battery are you using.

Thinking that you could put two in with a water tank between them .

Thanks

Laurie

Laurie,
I have a Dexter Torsion axle (see photo), so no off road for us.
The small lid in the floor is constructed & sealed much like the door on the cabin.
I got the idea from how they have a hatch in some of the classic/antique truck beds.
I have two group 27 deep cell batteries from Costco at about 47 pounds each.
Good luck with your build.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby abqlloyd » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Another disadvantage is they are exposed to the cold and heat which takes a toll on useful life as well as performance.
abqlloyd
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:30 pm

abqlloyd wrote:Another disadvantage is they are exposed to the cold and heat which takes a toll on useful life as well as performance.

No heat under my teardrop, it's shaded under there from the teardrop body.
My tow vehicles battey is exposed to cold and heat under the hood and typically lasts 60 months.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Battery under trailer

Postby abqlloyd » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:00 pm

I meant as opposed to inside. For exterior mounting, underneath makes sense.

Also remember that your car battery is not used in the same manner as a deep cycle battery and they have different chemistry.

Car batteries are also constantly recharged at high amperage. The plates are much thinner in a car battery.

All batteries perform better and last longer if not exposed to extreme heat or cold.
abqlloyd
Teardrop Master

Postby Lgboro » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:32 am

I doubt many here use car starting batteries. I have an AGM battery under my camper (the cheaper one from Sam's Club) with a good battery monitor and solar panel to provide constant activity. Logged in over 28,000 miles without a single battery issue. Short of a freak accident I can't see any way of damaging my battery if I don't tailgate and watch the road so of very little concern for me. The monitor cost more than the battery but I know when and how much to conserve when I camp off grid.
Lgboro
500 Club

Postby Kharn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:26 pm

I put my battery under the trailer, and I framed it out, made the cage, etc, in anticipation of adding a second.
The big advantage is the volume you save in your tongue box, plus you can put that heavy battery much closer to the axle.

The main disadvantage is moving all of your stuff to access the batteries to do things like replacement, refilling water/acid and changing in-line fuses. For the fuses, I would try to locate them so you can access them from under the trailer, that way you could change them from underneath with a flashlight rather than having to rearrange your entire interior with no internal lighting (since Murphy's Law says you're never going to blow a battery fuse when you have shore power or it's daylight :lol: ). Sealing the access panel is also a concern, I framed mine with 2x2s to support the cages (with recessed carriage bolts and torque washers), put weatherstripping around the perimeter, and screwed the panel down into the 2x2s.
Kharn
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets