Solar Panel-Battery Charging *Deep Cycle Recommendations*

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Solar Panel-Battery Charging *Deep Cycle Recommendations

Postby bdosborn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Kharn wrote:RV plug or jumper cables would give you 20-40 amps, which would reduce your charging time significantly, plus avoiding the losses in the inverter and charger.

Probably not if you use any wire smaller than a #8 awg. Voltage drop is brutal at 12V. I had to run #6awg wire from the battery to my hitch to get 13V at 5 amps to the trailer battery. Granted, my truck is a lot longer than most vehicles but it's still hard to get anything near 10 amps with the size wire that most people use.
Also, the average car alternator isn't going to put out anywhere near it's rated output at idle speeds...

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby shootr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Kharn wrote:The 10 amp charger will deliver exactly that, 10 amps.
RV plug or jumper cables would give you 20-40 amps, which would reduce your charging time significantly, plus avoiding the losses in the inverter and charger.

Jumper cables make sense - it was the trailer plug idea that was throwing me - I couldn't see one carrying that much amperage that well.

Got the new battery home, dated August 2014 so not too shelf worn. Measured 40% at 12.7 volts when I installed it, so now have the charger on it to see how long it takes it to fill it up (in case I go to a campsite with shore power - might as well use it and know what to expect from my equipment).

This is an awesome discussion - thank you all for joining in and sharing your appreciated knowledge.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby pchast » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:23 pm

I don't have an ammeter on my system. However, using a 10ga stranded wire from the
battery in the truck to a solar controller then to the trailer battery does restore the
battery charge on 2ea 12v 10ah batteries boosting from 12v starting to 13.7v. This
when I checked the batteries after a 48 mile trip, roughly 1 hour.
:thinking:
My brain hurts too much tonight to do the math.......
:lol:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby shootr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm

So I installed my shiny new Walmart battery:

and threw my handy Blue Point battery charger on it to top it off from the 50% my Snap On batter tester was showing to full capacity.

(Same model - different branding)

(Mine is Snap-On/Red, but same as this model I believe)

After the charger indicated it was done, I only get 60% capacity on the tester (when I check my truck battery I get 100% so I believe the tester is working ok).

QUESTION: Are these batteries like others where it takes a few cycles to condition them and get them up to full capacity?
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Yes, it could take several dozen cycles to reach full capacity of any lead acid battery. Normal discharge and recharge cycling should be all that is needed. It is also best to NOT deeply discharge a new battery , nor should we use excessive charge rates. Keep the charge to a maximum amps of C/10, where C = the amp hour capacity at the 20 hour rate.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Bruce was the one that got me interested in using solar. I have 66 cell 185W high voltage panel that supplies all our electrical needs including a Waeco refrigerator.
There is now a 150AH AGM battery and a second controller for a flexible 145W panel.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby shootr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:38 pm

MtnDon wrote:Yes, it could take several dozen cycles to reach full capacity of any lead acid battery. Normal discharge and recharge cycling should be all that is needed. It is also best to NOT deeply discharge a new battery , nor should we use excessive charge rates. Keep the charge to a maximum amps of C/10, where C = the amp hour capacity at the 20 hour rate.

I was hoping! Tonight while we packed I had the kitchen lights and the radio and the fan on, then I left the roof fan on for the night and will check it in the morning to see what it drew. Then I'll put the charger back on for the day (it is automatic so it won't overcharge) before we hit the road for our inaugural weekend trip!
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby shootr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Bruce was the one that got me interested in using solar. I have 66 cell 185W high voltage panel that supplies all our electrical needs including a Waeco refrigerator.
There is now a 150AH AGM battery and a second controller for a flexible 145W panel.

That is a clean power center! If I ever go to large panels they would have to be mobile - we will park under trees, use a popup canopy, and in as much shade as possible during the summer.

If I can ask, what is the pneumatic system for?
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby shootr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:59 am

That's relieving! Battery went from 53% to 49% capacity overnight with fan running - negligible. Extra loads we'll put it on it will be battery chargers for 2 cameras, cell phone, and Kindle. Threw the charger on anyways to get it ready for the weekend but pretty sure it won't need attention for two nights of camping.

This is going to be a long day at work - been over a year since our last camping trip and first for the trailer. I shall toast over the campfire :wine: all you good people that shared your help, ideas, and critiques. Can't wait to meet some of you some day.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby shootr » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:41 pm

New batteries are fun :? I tested the new one at approx. 65% capacity before we left Friday, and when I got home Sunday it was 75% - after using the fan, lights, and charging cameras and flashlights. I just took a cigarette lighter voltage meter and it would rise overnight from 12.7 to 12.9. The chargers were at home secure in the garage.

I ain't complaining - just learning I guess.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:16 am

This is what you want http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/321454076625?nav=SEARCH. anderson plug
They are both male and female (ambidextrous) you can get them pre wired as extension leads to run stuff or charge a remote battery away from your vehicle.
Commonly used here hardwired to the tow vehicle and hard wired to the camper battery, just plug it in along with your lights when you hook the TD up and your charging every time your trucks running.
Cheap, simple to wire up and flexible.
Just be sure to fit a cuirct breaker close to the vehicle battery for safty

Here's some gadgets you can get for them.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/400482063901?nav=SEARCH
Screw on weatherproof holder.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/400716763217?nav=SEARCH
T handles and dust caps.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/301181551212?nav=SEARCH
Prewired
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets