Simple 12 volt test setup

Anything electric, AC or DC

Simple 12 volt test setup

Postby noseoil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:17 pm

I was looking for something to use for testing LED's, basic wiring runs & circuits, which would act as a 12 volt power supply. I ended up with this for my needs & thought others might be able to use something like it for testing on their builds.

I bought a 12 volt sealed wet cell (Power-Sonic 12V/1.4AH Sealed Lead Acid Battery) for about $10.00 at an electronics store, some wire, a few alligator clips and a Radio Shack 12 volt cigarette type plug with wires attached. My whole test rig cost about $20.00 to make, so if it saves just one bad connection on the build, I figure it will pay for itself in a lack of future aggravation. It wouldn't power anything very big, or last too long, but for testing LED wiring, switches & the basic stuff it works well enough.

Here it is in the "test mode" on a marker light.

Here's the "charging mode" I use in the truck. Every once in a while I drive around on errands with the battery plugged into the 12 volt socket for a half hour or an hour. Since I don't have a charger for 12 volts in the house, I figure the alternator in the truck should be up to the task. It will also power up the 12 volt system once I have all the runs installed and hooked up, as long as I don't turn on anything. Figure it wouldn't do too well as a back-up system battery, but it might give a bit of light at some point if I need some.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Simple 12 volt test setup

Postby 48Rob » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:30 am

Good idea! :thumbsup:

Your thoughts for using it as a back up battery are right on.
A battery is a battery, some hold more than others, but they all provide power.
When dry camping I'll often take several of these type batteries (I have 12 Amp hour models) that I use to run fans.
Yes, I have big batteries too, but I can stretch out the length of the stay by using the little ones.

Some people; those with minimal power needs, will use this type of battery as their only power source.
On my first tear we used the old square 12 volt lantern batteries.
Got a week out of each.

The type you show are common in kid scooters, alarm systems, back up systems, etc.
I commonly find them in the trash, though they only cost around $20-$30 for a 12 Amp hour model.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 am

For most "testing" I use a 12 volt DC battery charger..... Even for testing tail and turn signals.... So there is no need for me to purchase a battery just to do tests with.... Old model train transformers (with DC output) work well too if you have a volt meter and adjust out put to 12-13 volts... Even yard sales are source of test power, I look for 12 VDC out transformers (wall warts) at about 1000ma (1 amp) range ....

These are a little more on expensive side, but have 17ah battery & charger...And potentially a lot of uses... Let your imagination run wild....

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-ju ... 38391.html

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 pm

48Rob wrote:A battery is a battery, some hold more than others, but they all provide power.

One thing to watch out for are Gel cell batteries. They are also sealed, like AGM's are also sealed. But Gel cell batteries require a different charging voltage. An auto electric charging system has too high a voltage and will kill a Gel cell battery rather quickly. So sometimes, a battery is not just a battery. The battery pictured is not a gel, so all should be well.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets