LED strip lights, very impressed!

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: LED strip lights, very impressed!

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm

I got some "bulk" 12-V LED strip a couple of years ago and the self-adhesive backing didn't last one trip, so I put them in acrylic tubes. I used a 1/2" square tube for my galley light

Here's the raw strip

Here's a view of the strip in the tubing with the in-line switch. The tubing is glued to the underside of my hatch with RTV.

I used 1/2" round tubing for the strip light in the cabin and mounted it with Mini-Maglite holders. Sorry no pix of cabin strip light.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby mgb4tim » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Graniterich wrote:Hence the epoxy idea

Consider using 3M bodymolding tape.

Here's some undercabinet lights I made with LED strips. I've since updated it using 1/4' lexan with a pair of troughs routed into it that the strips lay into. Then backed with aluminum tape.

mgb4tim
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Graniterich » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:21 pm

So I received the LED dimmer With remote, what a deal for three fifty! Just put dongle in line with led and your done. I have a bad picture I will attach but the remote has preset levels, which it remembers, as well as on / off and a bunch of effects I won't use. I need to test the range next. When you do dim, the current goes down in proportion to level, twenty five percent is still decent output with low current
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1417494103653.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1417494103653.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 pm

And as far as how bright the LED strips are, two forty inch strips pointed up in the forward roof curve white ceiling amaze everyone with how bright they are. I can turn on each strip individually, don't think I will need both
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby coyote » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:00 pm

121440. Late evening. Color is thrown off by cabin stain and the two computer fans, which have blue LEDs in them, but it is very bright, over the top for reading or hand work. The shot is from ground level, so normally you never see the ground effect lights. They are set on purple, note even the red clearance light is off color. And yes, I am sure 1/2 of that string would be more than enough. I had a instructor try to explain why if a little is good a whole lot is not necessarily better but,....(probably why my work shirts have my name on them :D ). Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets