fuse sizes ?

Anything electric, AC or DC

fuse sizes ?

Postby mikefree » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:32 am

I am not 100% sure about fuses. I was planning on using a 15amp (?) on the 10 guage from the battery to the fuse panel. 14 guage throughout
My radio says 5amp feed on it so I assume a 5 amp fuse there?
My led strip light says 5 amp feed so once again I assume 5 amp fuse there?
I am installing 2 computer case fans 0.40 amp each x2 + 0.80 amp so a 1 amp fuse?
I am also installing 4 x 12v cig type sockets for phone and tablet chargers, rechargeable flashlight, usb reading light. not a clue on fuse?
Dome light uses an 1156 bulb but i have ordered a 20 smd bulb from ebay and it doesnt say what it uses.

The other thing is i only have 4 fuse locations on my panel. If I put more than one "appliance" on a fuse ie strip light and fans would the fuse be 6 amp?

any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Mike
mikefree
Teardrop Inspector

Re: fuse sizes ?

Postby MtnDon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:42 am

Fuses are used to protect the wiring from damage in the event of an overload or dead short. So if the wire is 10 gauge a 30 amp fuse can be used. If the wire is 12 gauge; 20 amps and so on. You can use smaller size fuses if you want; just not larger. Think of your house. You have 15 amp breakers on 14 gauge for example. Just because you only run a one amp light on the circuit does not mean you change the breaker to a size smaller then 15 amps.

Again, size the fuse or breaker to protect the wire.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Lesbest » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Buy the good Littlefuse brand. DO NOT USE HARBOR FREIGHT FUSES FOR ANYTHING. They were recalled in 2007, but are Chinese fuses.

Lab testing showed that the 10 amp fuses would fail at close to 80 amps. Both GM and Chrysler have bulletins in their service procedures to remove them from use.

Google HF fuses.

Hope this helps,
Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby mikefree » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:03 pm

MtnDon wrote:Fuses are used to protect the wiring from damage in the event of an overload or dead short. So if the wire is 10 gauge a 30 amp fuse can be used. If the wire is 12 gauge; 20 amps and so on. You can use smaller size fuses if you want; just not larger. Think of your house. You have 15 amp breakers on 14 gauge for example. Just because you only run a one amp light on the circuit does not mean you change the breaker to a size smaller then 15 amps.

Again, size the fuse or breaker to protect the wire.

Thanks Don.
mikefree
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikefree » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:20 pm

Lesbest wrote:Buy the good Littlefuse brand. DO NOT USE HARBOR FREIGHT FUSES FOR ANYTHING. They were recalled in 2007, but are Chinese fuses.

Lab testing showed that the 10 amp fuses would fail at close to 80 amps. Both GM and Chrysler have bulletins in their service procedures to remove them from use.

Google HF fuses.

Hope this helps,
Les

Good to know. Thanks Les
mikefree
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets